You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-02 03:02:42

iamsmrt

[SOLVED] Issues with URxvt geometry

I'm trying to set my default urxvt size through xdefaults:

URxvt.geometry: 95x30                                                                                                                       
URxvt.buffered: true
URxvt.background: black
URxvt.foreground: white
URxvt.cursorColor: green
URxvt.underlineColor: green
URxvt.font:xft:Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:pixelsize=11:antialias=true

However, this isn't working and it appears to open just the defaults. It works via command line when I trype:

urxvt -geometry 95x30

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by iamsmrt (2010-08-02 14:00:55)

#2 2010-08-02 03:32:17

pseup

Re: [SOLVED] Issues with URxvt geometry

I noticed the same thing a while ago. Some options just don't work using the '.'. Use a * instead eg:

URxvt*geometry: 95x30

Though I've never found any information about what the difference between the '*' and ',' are. Anyone got a link that explains it?

#3 2010-08-02 03:37:57

falconindy
Developer
Website

Taken from: http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/view … Id=3907291

the difference between the "*" (a loose binding) and the "." (a tight binding) is that the * causes the resource to be applied to all the children windows within the top-level window (such as menus), whereas the dot causes the resource to be applied only to the top-level window of the program.

#4 2010-08-02 04:24:44

pseup

falconindy wrote:

Taken from: http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/view … Id=3907291

the difference between the "*" (a loose binding) and the "." (a tight binding) is that the * causes the resource to be applied to all the children windows within the top-level window (such as menus), whereas the dot causes the resource to be applied only to the top-level window of the program.

Ah perfect, thank you. I just started to have a play around with it after making that post and was thought it was something along those lines. Thanks to that page I now understand that my last post is incorrect (well the change should still fix the problem, but not for the reason I was working on), I think when I was having troubles it was a case of 'class*someresource' having priority over an 'instance.someresource'.

I'm using urxvtd/c here, so while "URxvt.geometry:" does work changes aren't seen without `xrdb -load ~/.Xdefaults`. Whereas "URxvt*geometry" changes take effect immediately on any new urxvt(c)s that get created.

Last edited by pseup (2010-08-02 04:52:21)

Board footer