You are not logged in.

#51 2010-08-01 07:37:29

Ari'osika

Re: Arch Linux Afterglow Edition

kmason wrote:
Ari'osika wrote:

@kmason I probably still can.

**Takes a quick look-see of ALAE script**

Yep, I'm pretty confident I could. I'd just hafta learn a little more about bash programming, its syntatical constructs and nuances.

Cool.  When I get the updated script up later today would you be able to take a look at it and see if you can spot any errors?

Yep, and I just spotted a new error (from my console);

(ari | ~)$ file *.tar.gz
archlinux-afterglowedition.tar.gz: gzip compressed data, was "dummy", from Unix, last modified: Sat Jul 31 20:06:50 2010

Me thinks that shouldn't be reading like that, especially when it reads;

[root&myhost ~]# file *.tar.gz
archlinux-afterglowedtion.tar.gz: HTML document text

from the console of the virtualbox arch setup that I'm running.

If you're reading this; you're awesome.

#52 2010-08-01 12:35:06

kmason
Website

Yeah, I don't know how or why its doing that, it must be because its downloaded from my web server.

Or it could be something funny about wget.

Also, sorry about not getting the new script up yesterday, I had a few things come up, but now I have a new idea for the script that I want to implement before uploading it from my desktop (which was configured successfully using the script, FYI):  Having two default configs to choose from.  Basically, I plan on releasing two versions of ALAE.  One with the theme it has now, and one with this one, as I posted recently in the screenshot thread:

thumb-aug1st2010-clean.png

thumb-aug1st2010-dirty.png

#53 2010-08-01 20:44:13

Ari'osika

There's one problem; how would you let the user know whats the difference between the two?

#54 2010-08-01 20:58:22

kmason
Website

I'd probably post a guide with screenshots, and prompt them in the script for what skin they would like to install (I'm thinking of calling the first one Dusk, while the second one would be called Dawn).

The script would be downloaded separately, and then it would download the tarball for the config setup the user selected and extract it into the proper folder(s).  This also makes it easier for me to update the script, as I don't have to upload the whole tarball each time, but rather the script itself, most likely uncompressed (its not that big).

Unique trivia, I choose these names, Dusk and Dawn, as the name "Afterglow" comes from this (courtesy of Wikipedia):

An afterglow is a broad high arch of whitish or rosy light appearing in the sky due to very fine particles of dust suspended in the high regions of the atmosphere. An afterglow may appear above the highest clouds in the hour of deepening twilight, or reflected from the high snowfields in mountain regions long after sunset. The particles produce a scattering effect upon the component parts of white light.

#55 2010-08-01 22:59:12

kmason
Website

Okay, I haven't tested it yet, but here is the new script with the changes as previously mentioned.   If someone could either check it for errors by looking at it or by running it in a virtual machine or new build, that would be excellent.

#56 2010-08-02 09:42:29

Ari'osika

More tinkering? I just tried downloading the tarbell and accessing your site and both seem to be down.

#57 2010-08-02 12:21:13

hcjl

theme selection does not work. after selecting a theme there is just a prompt that i have chosen a theme. the script does not go on with the install procedure.

#58 2010-08-02 19:31:02

kmason
Website

Ari'osika wrote:

More tinkering? I just tried downloading the tarbell and accessing your site and both seem to be down.

They appear to be up now, must have been some temporary downtime for my host.

hcjl wrote:

theme selection does not work. after selecting a theme there is just a prompt that i have chosen a theme. the script does not go on with the install procedure.

Yeah, that's what I get for not testing it first.  I still haven't tested it yet, but I think I might have fixed it.  I need to remember to tell the thing to break out of the loops better.  I changed the code to this:

#set up homedir defaults
SERVER="http://afterglowlinux.co.cc"
DIR="/_files/"
THEMECHOICES="Dawn Dusk"
echo "Which theme would you like to choose as your defaults?"
select THEME in $THEMECHOICES
do
if [ $THEME ] then;
case $THEME in
"Dawn") 
echo "You chose the light colored 'Dawn' Theme."
THEMETARBALL="alae-theme-dawn.tar.gz"
break;
;;
"Dusk")
echo "You chose the dark colored 'Dusk' Theme."
THEMETARBALL="alae-theme-dusk.tar.gz"
break;
;;
esac
else echo "Invalid Choice.  Please select the # next to the selection and/or try again."
fi
done
wget $SERVER$DIR$THEMETARBALL
if [ -f $THEMETARBALL ]
then
tar -xzf $THEMETARBALL
cp -r skeldir/* /etc/skel/
break;
else
    echo "ERROR: '$THEMETARBALL' not found! This is possibly an error with"
    echo "the script, your connection, or the server."
    exit;
fi
clear

Hopefully this should solve the issue.  Remember guys, its okay to help me out - I welcome any help I can get.

#59 2010-08-04 07:40:33

hcjl

sorry i mistakenly reported this post. here it is early in the morning and i pressed the wrong button.

back to topic:
now i receive a syntax error in line 200.

sometimes it is useful to have a test run;-)

Last edited by hcjl (2010-08-04 10:02:32)

#60 2010-08-04 21:08:39

kmason
Website

Ah, I think it may have just been that I forgot to make a new line between the else and the action for it there.  I'll re-upload it, and test it on my new 2 terabyte hard drive that just arrived (for my desktop).  big_smile

#61 2010-08-05 03:09:59

kmason
Website

Alright, I uploaded a fixed version, from errors I found in testing.

#62 2010-08-05 04:05:51

DIDI2002

Running the script on a clean arch-install (just base), a lot of builds fail due to missing dependencies (e.g. gcc, fakeroot etc.)
Could you add an option to change the behaviour to something like makepkg -s ? Or add a check for base-devel, or just install base-devel once before building the packages.

nice work btw !

Last edited by DIDI2002 (2010-08-05 04:11:03)

#63 2010-08-05 05:34:30

kmason
Website

Yeah, I'll probably just have the installer do a pacman -S base-devel right after it updates pacman in the script.

EDIT: Added the changes just now.  Oh boy is it a lot faster now that I just have to upload the script, not an entire tarball...

Last edited by kmason (2010-08-05 05:39:01)

#64 2010-08-05 08:12:59

Ari'osika

New error, new "patch" lol.

line 123 & 124 reads;

nvage="2000+ 1985-1999"
select choice3 in $atiage

should be;

atiage="2000+ 1985-1999"
select choice3 in $atiage

Although it'll causes a loop that I'll broke out of by repeatedly pressing my selection. Perhaps you need a "break" statement somewhere?

Last edited by Ari'osika (2010-08-05 08:35:00)

#65 2010-08-05 10:01:12

kmason
Website

Thanks for the fix, I don't have an ATI card to test on, just Intel and NVidia, so that was definitely needed.  I made the fix and added the "break" statement after the select statement ends (after the "done").  Hopefully this should fix the problem with it not breaking out of the loop.  Eventually I'll get to making the script Object Oriented though (by using functions), so I can easily avoid that issue.

#66 2010-08-05 13:25:36

DIDI2002

I have some more suggestions: blacklist nouveau when installing nvidia
Move all questions (Laptop, driver, theme) to the beginning of the installer, and add something like "--no-confirm" so you can start it up, get a coffe and be back to see everything done smile

/home/$user is not entirely owned by the user, so most programs won't run (chmod + chown takes 2 seconds)
in rc.conf daemons-array, "NetworkManager" should be "networkmanager", as it runs networkmanager from /etc/rc.d
setting $HOME to /hom/$user/.etc is really confusing, I don't see a reason to do this (besides avoiding dotfiles), I use "cd" all the time to change to my homedir..matter of taste maybe

Last edited by DIDI2002 (2010-08-05 14:05:45)

#67 2010-08-05 16:33:12

kmason
Website

DIDI2002 wrote:

I have some more suggestions: blacklist nouveau when installing nvidia
Move all questions (Laptop, driver, theme) to the beginning of the installer, and add something like "--no-confirm" so you can start it up, get a coffe and be back to see everything done smile

/home/$user is not entirely owned by the user, so most programs won't run (chmod + chown takes 2 seconds)
in rc.conf daemons-array, "NetworkManager" should be "networkmanager", as it runs networkmanager from /etc/rc.d
setting $HOME to /hom/$user/.etc is really confusing, I don't see a reason to do this (besides avoiding dotfiles), I use "cd" all the time to change to my homedir..matter of taste maybe

I kind of didn't want to blacklist anything, as that would make it harder for the user to use that program (nouveau in this case) if he/she so choses.  Also, I probably will move the questions to the beginning of the installer, however they will still have to manually okay things when installing from the AUR, as there is no safe --no-confirm option for bauerbill. 

Also, thanks for the info about /home/$user, and especially about NetworkManager - they really should change that:  Linux filenames should never use capital letters.

I'll add an option for the user to choose whether they want their $HOME to be /home/$user/.etc or just /home/user, which means having another couple of tarballs on the server.

EDIT: I just finished uploading the new files with the new changes.  The script is now Object Oriented as well (uses functions).

Last edited by kmason (2010-08-05 17:30:37)

#68 2010-08-06 00:24:28

DIDI2002

Yeah but installing nvidia and not blacklisting nouveau would result in nouveau loading, enabling kms for ttys, Xorg trying to load nvidia, X crashing.

#69 2010-08-06 00:48:46

kmason
Website

Yeah, I'll probably add an option to choose if they want nouveau or nvidia, and if they chose nvidia it blacklists nouveau.

#70 2010-08-07 01:38:24

kmason
Website

I just changed the script so that it blacklists nouveau after they install the nvidia graphics drivers, and I also updated lxappearance to lxappearance2.

#71 2010-08-07 09:37:59

Labello
Website

hi!

I did some wallpaper for your distro :-)

hope u like it

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/416097/afterglow.png

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#72 2010-08-07 14:57:15

kmason
Website

Labello wrote:

hi!

I did some wallpaper for your distro :-)

hope u like it

Ooh, nice!  Any chance you could make it in 1920x1200 pixels so it works for the rare few who have full HD monitors?

#73 2010-08-07 16:25:48

Labello
Website

kmason wrote:

Ooh, nice!  Any chance you could make it in 1920x1200 pixels so it works for the rare few who have full HD monitors?

yeah as soon as i am back home. i hope you can be patient :-)

EDIT:

there it is:
wide version
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/416097/afterglow_wide.png
normal version

Last edited by Labello (2010-08-08 14:13:21)

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#74 2010-08-19 21:57:31

kmason
Website

Update:  I am currently preparing to make this project use a choice of two window managers.  That being Compiz Standalone will be offered as an alternative to PekWM.  The reason for this, is that I recently made the switch to Compiz Standalone, and I really like it.  This doesn't mean I won't focus as much attention on the PekWM side, but it does mean, however, that if you want to easily configure a setup with Compiz Standalone, you will be able to do so with Arch Linux Afterglow Edition.

I'm probably going to use this as a base for the Compiz Standalone setup in the script.  I figured it would be easier to use this, rather than annoy the user with loads of choices on what plugins they want installed, or take away certain features by not installing certain plugins that can only be installed from GIT.

#75 2010-08-19 23:31:22

tomk
Forum Fellow

FYI that script runs 'pacman -Sy <packages>' - this is not recommended, as it could cause dependency issues.

Board footer