You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-02 07:18:18

petelewis
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

[SOLVED] KDE and externally clicked URLs using WebKit in Konqueror.

So, I had this working back when I was using Konqueror last year, but after my brief foray into the world of other browsers, I thought since KWebKitPart is now supposed to be more stable, I'd come back to it.

Under file types, I've set text/html and application/xhtml+xml file associations to be "show in embedded viewer" and then moved KWebKitPart to the top of the list for each.

If I launch an empty konqueror, and type in a URL, it loads it using WebKit. But, if I click on a link in (say) KMail, or type a URL into krunner, it launches konqueror with the KHTML component instead.

Can anyone point me to what I might be missing? (BTW, I restarted konqueror and ran kbuildsycocoa4).

Thanks!

Pete.

Last edited by petelewis (2010-08-02 13:41:15)

"Cared thou not, thou would have abstained." - Xyne

#2 2010-08-02 12:03:57

Skripka

Re: [SOLVED] KDE and externally clicked URLs using WebKit in Konqueror.

The only way is by setting Webkit as the default HTML renderer for Konqueror.  Type this little command:

keditfiletype text/html

and move "WebKit (webkitpart)" in the "Embedding" tab to the top.  That is about all you can do within my knowledge.

That being said Rekonq (in the repos, or the Git version on AUR) works far better all around, still has KDE integration, and uses less resources.  Konqueror has not got ANY development attention basically since KDE4.0 was released.  And continues not to get any, despite everybody universally agreeing that Konqueror with KrapHTML is even worse at renderering web pages than Internet Exploder.  Of all the items in the KDE4.5 cheduling notes, one of the main things still NOT finished or even started was fixing Konqueror.  It still lacks even decent session management.

Also FWIW, I've been trying out the Webkit KPart for *years* now.  It is stable.  Even the SVN builds by and large.  It is the Krap browser that is buggy.

Last edited by Skripka (2010-08-02 12:12:29)

#3 2010-08-02 12:11:24

petelewis
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah as I said I've already set the file associations to use kwebkitpart above khtml for both text/html and application/xhtml+xml. It's not that konqueror's getting it wrong, per se, since it works once konqueror's already loaded. It just reverts to KHTML when called externally :-/

And yes, I agree that Konqueror hasn't had too much love lately - though there have been a few minor additions.

I personally really hope that Konqy doesn't die. I love the way that you can just throw anything at it and it knows what to do. It's not *just* a web browser, it's a web browser, ftp client, image viewer, file browser and all the rest of it. Its strength to me was always that it was file type and protocol agnostic. It's great that the KParts have received attention / been rewritten (through dolphin, webkit etc) but I hope konqueror as a canvas stays around.

Anyway, that said, it doesn't seem to be behaving itself part-wise right now :-(

#4 2010-08-02 12:20:52

Skripka

petelewis wrote:

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah as I said I've already set the file associations to use kwebkitpart above khtml for both text/html and application/xhtml+xml. It's not that konqueror's getting it wrong, per se, since it works once konqueror's already loaded. It just reverts to KHTML when called externally :-/

And yes, I agree that Konqueror hasn't had too much love lately - though there have been a few minor additions.

I personally really hope that Konqy doesn't die. I love the way that you can just throw anything at it and it knows what to do. It's not *just* a web browser, it's a web browser, ftp client, image viewer, file browser and all the rest of it. Its strength to me was always that it was file type and protocol agnostic. It's great that the KParts have received attention / been rewritten (through dolphin, webkit etc) but I hope konqueror as a canvas stays around.

Anyway, that said, it doesn't seem to be behaving itself part-wise right now :-(

Actually, I do believe that it *is* that Konqueror is getting it wrong.

It isn't "lately" that it hasn't gotten any love.  Basically since KDE4.0 was released, it has never again been looked at again by the devs.  Konqueror really is only a web browser as an after thought, unfortunately the devs decided in KDE4.0 to make that one krappy aspect of Konqueror the primary focus.  What kind of program that claims to be a web browser will not restore the last opened tabs effortlessly?  One of the most basic features, and Konqueror still doesn't have it.  Going on 3 years of updates and overhauls of every minute aspect of KDE, people begging for fixes and they still don't do anything.  Back in KDE4.2 and 4.3 I still harbored hope that they'd fix Konqueror, I don't think they ever will anymore.

You're better off using say Rekonq that uses QtWebkit, that fully integrates into KDE, is lighter, runs better, and is actually in development.

Someone should tell the KDE devs that the only thing worse than an openly broken tool, is an openly broken tool that is never fixed and never looked at by it's devs.  I honestly could not believe the balls of the KDE devs announcing the availability of the KWebkit KPart in their release notes for KDE4.5.  Do they themselves not know that this "feature" has been around for 3 years?

Last edited by Skripka (2010-08-02 12:24:49)

#5 2010-08-02 13:08:44

Vamp898
Website

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23628631/out-5.ogv

oh and for sure this here

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/23628805/out-6.ogv

oh and it works perfect for me so you shoulnd give the fault to the KDE Devs that fast wink

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-08-02 13:21:18)

#6 2010-08-02 13:39:04

petelewis
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Vamp898 wrote:

Yep, that was it - for some reason I had the default web browser component set to "in the following browser: konqueror" rather than "in an application based on the contents of the URL"! Dammit, I knew that :-/

Thanks again :-)

And incidentally, I've been using KDE since version 1.0! So, the lack of interest in Konqueror is "recently" as far as I'm concerned. It would be great if some love were given to a generic kparts canvas like this. It was always one of KDE's biggest strengths to me.

Thanks again.

Board footer