You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-02 22:35:52

marfig
Website

[SOLVED] Printing from Arch as guest in VMWare

Hello all,

I'm running Arch as a guest OS in VMWare. I've been following the instruction for installing and setting up CUPS on this wiki entry. All has been going well so far. But I'm stuck at the point I need to add a printer from the web interface.

This is my screen at the add printer webpage (using lynx)
printer.jpg

I've tried to use the local ones, but they don't seem to work (trying to print a test page from the printer administration section outputs nothing and the job is flagged complete). I've also tried to setup one of the network printers (AppSocket/HP JetDirect), but I don't know what to put on the connection setting (the socket).

I have the printer enabled on the VMWare options for this machine.

Last edited by marfig (2010-08-03 17:13:09)

I probably made this post longer than it should only because I lack the time to make it shorter.
- Paraphrased from Blaise Pascal

#2 2010-08-02 23:13:45

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Printing from Arch as guest in VMWare

A few things.

First, you did not actually link your jpeg to anything, so we cannot see it.
Tell us about your printer.  Is it networked directly or does it require a host computer?
Are you trying to host the computer directly from your Virtual machine?

If it networked without a host, how does it acquire an address? Static, DHCP, Avahi? uPNP?

<edit>[[If it is hosted by a computer (probably using a USB cable):
Is it hosted by the Host OS on the system under which you are running VMware or is another computer on the network?
What is the OS that is hosting the printer (OS/X, Linux, Windows?)]]</edit>  Edit: never mind, I see it is a networked printer

Is VMware set up NAT? Bridged Mode? Host only Virtual Network?

A lot of questions to be sure, sorry about that.

Last edited by ewaller (2010-08-02 23:16:24)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2010-08-02 23:42:08

marfig
Website

ewaller wrote:

First, you did not actually link your jpeg to anything, so we cannot see it.

Hmm... I can see it myself. URL is http://i25.tinypic.com/2i6pf1u.jpg. Maybe you have tinypic blocked in your browser?
But I'm going to change it to my personal server in a few seconds after this post. Should be viewable from there.

ewaller wrote:

Tell us about your printer.  Is it networked directly or does it require a host computer?
Are you trying to host the computer directly from your Virtual machine?

The printer is a HP OfficeJet J4580. It's connected to my Windows 7 Machine. It's an USB printer.
This Windows 7 machine hosts the Arch Linux VM. The VM is connected to the host through a bridged network (working). I have enabled the host printer for this machine under VMWare settings.

Steps taken:
1. I have installed CUPS
2. I have not installed any printer drivers
3. Started printer
4. Checked with dmesg and the kernel detected it
5. Started cups daemon
6. Initiated web interface. And that's where I am now. Not knowing how to create this printer

My suspicion is that I should use AppSocket/App Jet Direct. But I don't know what I should type in for the socket.

Last edited by marfig (2010-08-02 23:44:32)

I probably made this post longer than it should only because I lack the time to make it shorter.

#4 2010-08-03 00:13:04

ewaller
Administrator

Well, I can see the new link.  Must be a new feature of the wonderful firewall I am behind.  I'll look again when i get home tonight.

So, about the printer.  Are you planning on connecting to VM using the USB connection, or did you want to use it through a Windows Share (Samba).

The first way, you steal it away from Windows as if you had unplugged it.  The Windows drivers might fight that.
The second way, both systems can use it, but it will need to be shared under Windows.

Using the USB route, you need to use a local printer option.  Can you provide some details from the dmesg output?

I am off for home -- back in a couple hours.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2010-08-03 00:33:00

marfig
Website

Yeah, I was preparing just a post to include dmesg output. I thought it would give me an hint. It does, I think. I just don't know what to do with the usblp0 device:

usb1-1: new highspeed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 1 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x03f0 pid 0x2A12
usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 1 claimed by usblp while 'usb' sets config #1

As for you question, if I understood it correctly, I'm planning to use the USB connection. I have no wish of installing Samba at this point. I wish for VMWare to serve its Arch guest with the printer installed on this Windows 7 host.

Last edited by marfig (2010-08-03 00:34:32)

#6 2010-08-03 01:41:29

ewaller
Administrator

Well, your link does show up here at home.  Looks like they slipped another "upgrade" into our firewall at $DAYJOB.

On the way home, It occurred to me that the easy solution is probably to install hplip.

If you don't want to use the HP drivers, you might use the foomatic drivers.  Some HP printers need to have firmware uploaded to them at power up.  I am not sure if that is true of the J4580.  If so, HPLIP is your better choice.

---

#7 2010-08-03 02:38:34

marfig
Website

Ok. It seems I will have to install some drivers, after all. It seems the ThinPrint drivers that ship with VMWare are useless in this circumstance.

Thanks for all the help, ewaller. Will give it a try tomorrow.

#8 2010-08-03 17:12:33

marfig
Website

It works indeed, ewaller. Just like you suggested, by installing the HPLIP drivers. After starting the printer, it becomes readily available for configuration as a local printer under localhost:631. Don't even have to worry with usblp with this printer.

Thanks a bunch.

PS: Just a shame ThinPrint wasn't able to work its magic here.

Board footer