You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-01 23:07:37

guidito73

Deleting Ubuntu (GRUB 2) to give way to Arch

Well, I succesfully set up my Archlinux!

Now, I have a question: I want to delete my Ubuntu partitions (/ and /home). By doing this, GRUB 2 will no longer exist and I will need to boot from my Arch root, which has GRUB 1 (or legacy). How should I do this safely and without suffering consequences in my boot order? (I have a Windows 7 partition too).

#2 2010-08-01 23:31:45

archeologist

Re: Deleting Ubuntu (GRUB 2) to give way to Arch

Well, it doesn't matter how many GRUBs are installed. Only the one, that's in the MBR is important.

Here you can read how to install GRUB or here for GRUB2.

IMO:
After deleting Ubuntu, you should have another boot order (because Ubuntu is gone). If you go for GRUB2 in Arch, you could copy the config of GRUB2 of Ubuntu (and delete the Ubuntu settings).
If you want to use GRUB, you'll have to fit the GRUB2 config

Last edited by archeologist (2010-08-01 23:32:09)

#3 2010-08-02 06:01:14

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Boot onto the Arch live CD and use the following inside the grub shell (by running the grub command):

root (hdx,x)
setup(hdx)
quit

The "hdx" can be replaced with your drive, typically hd0. The "x" after the comma is the partition number of that disk that GRUB is installed on. For example, if your Arch partition (assuming you don't have a separate /boot partition) is /dev/sda2, then you would replace the "x" with a "1", or basically the partition number - 1, as GRUB, and pretty much every other computer program, begins counting at 0 instead of 1.

Last edited by cesura (2010-08-02 06:01:38)

#4 2010-08-03 17:33:35

guidito73

itsbrad212 wrote:

Boot onto the Arch live CD and use the following inside the grub shell (by running the grub command):

root (hdx,x)
setup(hdx)
quit

The "hdx" can be replaced with your drive, typically hd0. The "x" after the comma is the partition number of that disk that GRUB is installed on. For example, if your Arch partition (assuming you don't have a separate /boot partition) is /dev/sda2, then you would replace the "x" with a "1", or basically the partition number - 1, as GRUB, and pretty much every other computer program, begins counting at 0 instead of 1.

Thank you very much, sir!

My root Arch partition is sda8, so I guess I should do that and put a "7" in place of the "x", right?.
And then, I can install GRUB2 (I installed GRUB legacy on the install), I have to say I like it and I'm more familiarized with it since I used Ubuntu this last year.

PS: benefits on creating a /boot partition and installing GRUB2 there? I guess I wouldn't need to recover my grub after touching partitions or installing/reinstalling an OS, right?

Board footer