You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-03 02:31:51

SiegeMachine

[Solved] VLC not stopping screensaver coming on

Not sure if this is a vlc problem or something else.  I don't even know what my screensaver is because I don't use a DE I just use compiz and PCManFM. So after my last Syu which granted was a while ago every time I go to watch a movie using VLC every 10-20 minutes whatever it is my monitor will turn off and then I'll have to get up and move to my mouse and I'll have to wake up my screen. Basically, how do I stop this from interrupting my movies? Thanks.

Last edited by SiegeMachine (2010-08-04 21:17:26)

#2 2010-08-03 08:16:51

Cagnulein
Website

Re: [Solved] VLC not stopping screensaver coming on

Is Preferences > Video > "Advanced options" > "Disable screensaver" true?

#3 2010-08-03 08:50:39

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

You could try a simple wrapper script which disables the screensaver prior to calling VLC, like this:

#!/bin/sh
xset s off
/usr/bin/vlc $@    # or whatever VLC was called (you need the full path here)
xset s on

Put this under the name VLC usually is started into your ~/bin folder and make sure ~/bin will be searched first on your PATH.

Or, if you don't use a screensaver at all, simply issue

xset s off

at startup (I don't know how this is accomplished in compiz). This usually does disable such screen blanking in X.

And be sure to have a look at "man xset". wink

Last edited by bernarcher (2010-08-03 08:54:38)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2010-08-03 09:07:11

Kooothor

SiegeMachine wrote:

I don't even know what my screensaver is

Maybe this is the problem. You should now what it is in order to fix it I guess.
Personally I use vlc with xscreensaver and have no troubles. Perhaps you should try and install xscreensaver...

ktr

#5 2010-08-04 21:17:07

SiegeMachine

Well I've found something that works easily that is caffeine.  Its not actually a screensaver its just monitor output gets turned off after 10 minutes of inactivity so my monitor goes into standby mode.  This used to not happen while watching movies with VLC, but after my recent upgrade it does turn on during movies now.  Caffeine works for now I guess but I'll look into what it is that controls the monitor turn off.

Board footer