You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-07 18:14:57

seelk

Removing DevFS...

Will removing (pacman -R devfs, I believe it's "-R" right?) DevFS make the neccessary changes to my system to use udev?  Is this recommended or should I just modify grub to boot with no devfs?

"smooth as seelk"

#2 2005-04-07 18:26:26

starthis

Re: Removing DevFS...

You need to install the udev package (pacman -S udev),
and add "devfs=nomount" to your grub kernel line.

I think that is all (besides setting up custom udev permissions (see wiki))

Did I forget something? not sure  :?

#3 2005-04-07 18:26:31

Net@Worm

You just should modify grub, by adding 'devfs=nomount' to kernel line:
[coode]kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 vga=0x31B devfs=nomount ro[/code]
But you also need to install udev package: pacman -S udev

#4 2005-04-07 23:23:08

FUBAR
Website

It's probably safer to not remove DevFS right away too. Try adding the kernel option in your bootloader's config first and see if it works out. Afterwards you can remove the DevFS package and see if things still run smoothly.

Last weekend I thought I could delete hotplug since I didn't use it: after a reboot my X didn't work anymore and neither did my sound. Reinstalling hotplug fixed that (although it took me a while to figure that out).

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#5 2005-04-08 00:29:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

FUBAR wrote:

It's probably safer to not remove DevFS right away too. Try adding the kernel option in your bootloader's config first and see if it works out. Afterwards you can remove the DevFS package and see if things still run smoothly.

Last weekend I thought I could delete hotplug since I didn't use it: after a reboot my X didn't work anymore and neither did my sound. Reinstalling hotplug fixed that (although it took me a while to figure that out).

Thats because hotplug was detecting the modules. You could do an lsmod now, and then put the appropriate modules in your MODULES line in your rc.conf.

I never liked hotplug....

#6 2005-04-08 04:18:34

shadowhand
Website

Hotplug stinks.... I just added all my non-sound modules to rc.conf, then added sound modules to rc.local (because they need to be added in a certain way and need delays to work properly).

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#7 2005-04-08 11:00:45

FUBAR
Website

iphitus wrote:

Thats because hotplug was detecting the modules. You could do an lsmod now, and then put the appropriate modules in your MODULES line in your rc.conf.

I know hotplug is supposed to load modules automagically, but I put all the modules I need in /etc/rc.conf right after I installed Arch. hotplug also isn't in /etc/rc.conf, so it's not even loaded at boot up. That's exactly why I thought I could remove it!

After rebooting without hotplug, I had to pacman -S nvidia to get into X. I had to do this everytime I rebooted!
There was also no soundcard detected anymore by my soundmodules. I couldn't get this to work.
When I reinstalled hotplug, things simply worked again. :shock:

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#8 2005-04-08 18:50:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

FUBAR wrote:
iphitus wrote:

I know hotplug is supposed to load modules automagically, but I put all the modules I need in /etc/rc.conf right after I installed Arch. hotplug also isn't in /etc/rc.conf, so it's not even loaded at boot up. That's exactly why I thought I could remove it!

After rebooting without hotplug, I had to pacman -S nvidia to get into X. I had to do this everytime I rebooted!
There was also no soundcard detected anymore by my soundmodules. I couldn't get this to work.
When I reinstalled hotplug, things simply worked again. :shock:

Udev needs hotplug.  That's because hotplug does 2 things: there is the "coldplug" deamon loading the modules at boot time and there is the "hotplug" part which creates the device in /dev when you connect new hardware.  Probably you needed the second "part".

#9 2005-04-09 01:46:01

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

speaking of hotplug and coldplugging.... my usb scanner needs to be unplugged and re-plugged after a reboot for it to acknowledge it because hotplug is too stupid to emulate the plug-in event when it's already plugged in at boot. Anyone have a solution I missed somewhere?

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

Board footer