You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-03 05:09:12

lagagnon
Website

[Solved] Cannot boot after pm_trace and resultant system clock reset

I am trying to get suspend to work on a Zotac motherboard. I suspect a hardware fault but Zotac support suggested I try this:

Enable PM trace (echo "1" > /sys/power/pm_trace) which will wrte device hashes to the system timer attempt to suspend.
On reboot examine dmesg for "device hash" entries to track down the device that hung during resume.
Be aware that this will reset the system clock and fsck will freak out. Consider "tune2fs -c 0 /dev/your/filesystems.

I did the "echo "1" > /sys/power/pm_trace and that really buggered my system. Now when I attempt to boot (even in fallback mode) I get lots of errors:

Fatal phc_k8 Module Not Found. [FAIL]
/dev/sda1:clean
/dev/sda3 is mounted, e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
/dev/sda5 is mounted, e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

However, I booted a Live CD and ran "tune2fs -c 0 /dev/sda3 (and 5) " and also ran e2fsck on all my filesystems and they are clean.
Rebooting still now triggers the error messages above despite doing the tune2fs command.

An error also flashed by concerning lsof and the system timer but I cannot read them.

Any assistance greatly appreciated. I really appear to have hosed things here and have no idea where to start.

Last edited by lagagnon (2010-08-05 21:55:49)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#2 2010-08-05 21:59:02

lagagnon
Website

Re: [Solved] Cannot boot after pm_trace and resultant system clock reset

Thanks to "falconindy" on the ArchLinux IRC channel who pointed out that perhaps the udev rules I had recently added were at fault. Correct: media udev rules taken from the Arch wiki had been added but the media rules were forcing udev to mount sda when fstab does that. I changed the first line of my udev media rules to:

KERNEL!="sd[b-z][0-9]", GOTO="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

from

KERNEL!="sd[a-z][0-9]", GOTO="media_by_label_auto_mount_end"

and all is fine now. Thanks!

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer