You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-14 11:45:40

patroclo7

mutt, mailcap and opera

Hi, I did recently switch from firefox to opera and I am very satisfied. However, I am unable to use opera to see reliably the text/html mail attachments from mutt. What I should do is to find the right entry for ~/.mailcap (the firefox one I had worked nice). I have tried several formulations but opera seems to find the temporary files created from mutt only... some times (and very seldom actually), while in all the other cases it tells me that there is no (say) "file://localhost/tmp/patroclo712792/muttVE9Hyh. No other app in my .mailcap has problems in finding the temporary files.

My first try has been:

text/html; /usr/bin/opera %s

Then I read somewhere that for some browser you need to specify that it is an html file, so I tried:

text/html; /usr/bin/opera; nametemplate=%s.html
text/html; /usr/bin/opera; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html

After that I read in the following page http://www.spocom.com/users/gjohnson/mutt/ that mutt, being single threaded, can have issues with some external viewers, so I installed the mutt_bgrun script (which works and is very useful with other apps in order to avoid that mutt waits until the viewer has been closed) and tried:

text/html; mutt_bgrun /usr/bin/opera %s

In that same page it suggests to add a sleep, so I tried:

text/html; opera %s & sleep 5

In all these cases the result is the same: some times (about 10%) opera inds the temporary file and shows it fine, while in the other cases it says that there is no such file.
What else? Anyone using opera & mutt here? (please note that my issue is with attachments, I have no problems with opening URLs from mutt in opera)

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#2 2010-08-06 15:47:50

RedScare

Re: mutt, mailcap and opera

It might be too late and this might be bad etiquette, but I also ran across this problem and my solution was the line

text/html; [browser] %s & read

Board footer