You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-07 20:44:45

crobot

starting gnome, flashing panels

I'm a KDE user, but wanted to see how the new gnome is looking. After installing it, i logged in and was greeted with the normal splash, but subsequently a flashing desktop - both the top and bottom panels appear but are empty and flashing in and out, this repeats about 8 times and then i'm left with a blank screen...restarting x is the only way to get out of it.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Dan

#2 2005-04-08 00:52:17

filoktetes

Re: starting gnome, flashing panels

I have no ideas. I just want to tell you that as a regular Gnome user, I have never seen anything like what you are decribing. It would be helpful if you could give some info on how you start Gnome, and which (Gnome related) packages you have installed.

#3 2005-04-08 11:31:46

crobot

Re: starting gnome, flashing panels

I use kdm to start gnome. Well, up until recently i didn't have gnome installed, so all i did was a pacman -S gnome...i ran into a conflict, and followed an entry in this forum to initially install epiphany, which dealt with an issue with mozilla (nss-?, sorry can't remember the full name and the error isn't in the pacman.log). I don't have any unorthodox gnome related packages installed, at least to my knowledge - is there any way i can get a list? In addition are there any gnome logs i can look in? i can't see any in /var/log, and via locate.

Thanks,

Dan

Board footer