You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-18 14:06:57

PhotonX

[solved]Problems with xbindkeys and xte/xvkbd

Hello community!

Following situation: I want to have a button on my keyboard change the compiz viewport. Following things do work:

1. Setting the action in ~/.xbindkeysrc to some "normal" command like "gnome-terminal" => Pressing the button always starts the gnome-terminal
2. Changing the viewport with both commands:

xvkbd -no-jump-pointer -text '\C\A\[Right]'

and

xte 'keydown Control_L' 'keydown Alt_L' 'key Left' 'keyup Alt_L' 'keyup Control_L'

by directly running those commands from the terminal always changes the viewport.

But setting one of those two latter commands as action in ~./xbindkeysrc works suboptimal: Sometimes the viewport is changed after the first time pressing the button but in the most cases you have to keep pressing the button quickly many times until the viewport is switched.

It shouldn't be a hardware problem since the button works without any problems with a command like "gnome-terminal". But on the other hand each of the components alone (keyboard, xbindkeys, xte, xvkbd) do work but in combination they don't...

Maybe there is a direct command for changing the viewport in compiz without using xte or xvkbd?

Thanks,
PhotonX

edit: Changed title

Last edited by PhotonX (2010-08-07 15:39:36)

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#2 2010-06-20 17:32:48

PhotonX

Re: [solved]Problems with xbindkeys and xte/xvkbd

I tried to use a combined command like

xvkbd -no-jump-pointer -text '\C\A\[Right]' && gnome-terminal

and observed that the gnome-terminal part is executed always whereas the xte or xvkbd part isn't. Also I tried another key combination to make sure that everything is ok with the compiz part and in fact any other key combination doesn't work, too. So either the problem is with xbindkeys or with xte&xvkbd...

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#3 2010-08-07 15:39:16

PhotonX

Re: [solved]Problems with xbindkeys and xte/xvkbd

Problem solved, it helped to attach a "+release" to the keycode in .xbindkeysrc.

Board footer