You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-06 21:17:49

resi

Portable xterm key bindings

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to define xterm/bash key bindings in a portable/transferable way. Nothing fancy, I'd just love to use Ctrl+Backspace as "backward-kill-word", Alt+d as "kill-word" and so on. So far I had to define a bunch of key bindings in my .bashrc, but what about all those ssh sessions I open?

Is there a way to automatically transfer key bindings from localhost to any ssh target? Are there terminal emulators other than xterm that can handle this in a sane way?

To complicate it further, I can't always install my favorite keymaps at work. We do share accounts on some of our servers, my colleagues aren't keen to use my keybindings 'cause they don't seem to work for them.

I can't even remember how long I've been fighting by this problem, still I don't see any solution for that. Any help is highly appreciated.

#2 2010-08-07 16:52:36

lagagnon
Website

Re: Portable xterm key bindings

Why not store your ~/.Xmodmap file in the cloud somewhere, then download it where and when you need it. Better yet, install Dropbox on all your machines so that those files you need on each computer sync each time you change them ??

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-08-07 18:07:17

resi

Re: Portable xterm key bindings

Yeah, thats probably the only solution to the mess, although I dislike dropbox. I was hoping that someone comes up with magic ssh configurations that automatically take care of all the keybindings on local and target hosts...

Board footer