You are not logged in.

#201 2010-08-02 17:04:53

fiinix

Re: qtFM - Small, fast, light Qt filemanager

Maybe a bookmark "placeholder" for devices, which you can move around and which gets replaced by a set of partitions when they are mounted...?

#202 2010-08-02 20:48:40

Nihathrael
Website

Small glitch:
The Icon and Detail View buttons can be activated both at the same time, i guess this is not intended this way?

Otherwise great job!

Unknown Horizons - Open source real-time strategy game with the comfy Anno 1602 feeling!

#203 2010-08-02 21:07:16

fiinix

The status bar shows the combined size of multiple files. Nice.
Bug: If the combined file size is more than 2GB, the number goes on from -2GB and if you select files of 4GB it shows 0 smile Sounds like int instead of long/float/double. I have no idea if there are performance issues, but long would be enough for normal file sizes I guess.
Feature request: how about the ability to select multiple files and folders and per context menu -> properties be able to see the size of it all?

#204 2010-08-02 21:53:32

anonymous_user

Nihathrael wrote:

Small glitch:
The Icon and Detail View buttons can be activated both at the same time, i guess this is not intended this way?

Otherwise great job!

I suggested earlier to use radio buttons instead:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 72#p793572

#205 2010-08-03 02:29:34

Wittfella

anonymous_user wrote:

Edit 2: When you go to a bookmark, you won't be able to click it again unless you click on a different bookmark first.

Not so, you can click again to activate, even if it is already highlighted.

The Icon/Detail Buttons
The behaviour is different to what you are used too, but it is intentional.  Think of it this way:  The default view is always the list.  Detail view is a seperate view and is either on or off.  If your not in detail view, your in list.  List can be straight list or icons.  Icons are on or off.

I can change the bookmarks so the 'auto' ones are saved like normal, then you move them around and they stay in that position, I'll test it out.

The tooltips are just based on the length, its not very elegant at all.  I could not find a way to test if the name was truncated with "...".  I tried just putting the tooltips on everything also, but it annoyed me.

#206 2010-08-03 02:34:47

anonymous_user

Wittfella wrote:

Not so, you can click again to activate, even if it is already highlighted.

Thanks. Maybe it was past behavior.

Wittfella wrote:

List can be straight list or icons.  Icons are on or off.

Technically the icons are either big or small. The list view has icons too.

Wittfella wrote:

I can change the bookmarks so the 'auto' ones are saved like normal, then you move them around and they stay in that position, I'll test it out.

Sounds good to me.

#207 2010-08-03 10:14:52

fiinix

Wittfella wrote:

The Icon/Detail Buttons
The behaviour is different to what you are used too, but it is intentional.  Think of it this way:  The default view is always the list.  Detail view is a seperate view and is either on or off.  If your not in detail view, your in list.  List can be straight list or icons.  Icons are on or off.

Differences are: (pro) always one button less in the menu, (con) sometimes you need two clicks to get the intended view. To me they feel like three completely different views: one goes always down (details), one fills colummn by column with small icons (list), one fills line by line with big items (icon view). I see why one would want three different options for that. But it's interesting to have a different approach here. Let's see how it feels in a few weeks smile

Wittfella wrote:

The tooltips are just based on the length, its not very elegant at all.  I could not find a way to test if the name was truncated with "...".  I tried just putting the tooltips on everything also, but it annoyed me.

Yeah, unneccessary tooltips suck. Maybe you find a way to calculate, what Qt calculates, when it truncates. For example in the tree view:

if (folder.depth + folder.name.length > tree_view.current_width) tooltip on;

etc. ? And how about the tooltips position. Can you make it be exactly on top of the truncated name or does it always lie relatively to the current mouse position?

#208 2010-08-03 12:23:26

Wittfella

fiinix wrote:

Differences are: (pro) always one button less in the menu, (con) sometimes you need two clicks to get the intended view.

I think it also depends on your usage style.  For instance I suspect that people tend to stick to either the list or large icons in the list view.  So if your always in icon view, occasionally flipping to detail is on/off.  Same if you are mainly in list.  Of course others will stick mainly in detail view.  Personally I am nearly always in list view.  I only toggle details rarely maybe to check some file sizes etc.  I only toggle icons briefly if I am looking for a particular thumbnail.

#209 2010-08-03 13:52:40

anonymous_user

BTW just something minor: in the context menu shouldn't the new file icon be next to the New file item? There is a separate new folder icon in many themes too.

Edit: I also noticed that if a file's extension is upper-case, its icon will become the generic text icon. Is that normal?

Last edited by anonymous_user (2010-08-03 18:03:59)

#210 2010-08-03 20:43:53

karabaja4
Website

Wittfella - why do 'Extract here' and "Term here' appear in different parts of the menu, and not together with rest of the custom actions? Is that hardcoded? I'm not complaining, just asking smile

Also, I have a suggestion - can you split navigation and address bar in two menus, I'd like to have edit menu in between those two.

Last edited by karabaja4 (2010-08-03 21:02:08)

#211 2010-08-03 21:11:27

anonymous_user

@karabaja4 - Its on purpose:

Wittfella wrote:

You can arrange the custom action items by dragging them around and it changes the order they are displayed in the context menu. File specific actions are at the top near 'open', folder actions are always at the bottom near 'Properties' and '*' global actions are in the middle area.

#212 2010-08-04 14:49:52

archman-cro
Website

One idea for truncated names: Why not removing a tooltip and placing a complete name of the file (including the filetype) in front of the filesize in the statusbar? That way we're rid of tooltips, and nothing will seem to get in the way, And we have the full file name at once.
Also, a one-click-activation option, pleeease!... big_smile

#213 2010-08-04 14:58:56

fiinix

archman-cro wrote:

Why not removing a tooltip and placing a complete name of the file (including the filetype) in front of the filesize in the statusbar? That way we're rid of tooltips, and nothing will seem to get in the way, And we have the full file name at once.

Wow, very nice idea! That would be great.

archman-cro wrote:

I would like that too... lets just hope for the best.

#214 2010-08-05 02:45:35

Wittfella

archman-cro wrote:

One idea for truncated names: Why not removing a tooltip and placing a complete name of the file (including the filetype) in front of the filesize in the statusbar? That way we're rid of tooltips, and nothing will seem to get in the way, And we have the full file name at once.

Perfect!  Will do that, the tooltips are giving me the sh1ts!

#215 2010-08-07 02:32:20

Wittfella

Updates

Changelog wrote:

2.3    7-August-2010
- added single-click navigation options.
- added file information to status bar, removed tooltips.
- modified autobookmarks and mounting/unmounting detection in /media.
- modified thumb alignment to account for different aspect ratio pics.
- modified toolbars, seperate navigation and address bars.

I wasn't sure what single-click navigation behavior is best - single-click activation on everything, or just directories, so I added both and you can try both ways.  To try it out add a key called 'singleClick' to the general section of qtfm.conf.

singleClick=1  only directories, files are still click to select, double-click activate

singleClick=2  everything is single-click

#216 2010-08-07 04:49:27

anonymous_user

@Wittfella - would it be possible to access the top menus using the keyboard like Alt-F, Alt-E, Alt-V?

archman-cro wrote:

Dunno if this is a bug, and it's not really important, but here's what I get when renaming the folder: http://i31.tinypic.com/2w50f3l.jpg
NVM the run dialog fading out...
After I go forth and back to that folder, all is standing correct.

I was able to reproduce something similar with files:

2010-08-06--1281155217_305x159_scrot.png

The name has to be sufficiently long for it to happen though.

#217 2010-08-07 12:02:41

archman-cro
Website

Wittfella, this update rules the world!

singleClick=1 - never even had an idea about this, and it is amazing! Using it, works properly, just amazing!

File information in statusbar - Amazing, simple, original. Nice.

Thank you! smile

Edit: In 'Show thumbs' mode - should it create some cache file everytime I visit a folder with pics and similar, so it doesn't have to load everything all the time when I close and open qtFM again?

Last edited by archman-cro (2010-08-07 12:07:34)

#218 2010-08-07 13:01:41

archman-cro
Website

Some detail here: When singleClick=1 is in use, you can't ctrl click the folder to select it. It enters the folder ignoring the ctrl. Can it be fixed?

#219 2010-08-07 20:45:05

shetland_breeder
Website

A feature request and a bugette...

Would it be possible to have owner. group and permissions displayed in detail view? It's the one missing thing that makes me keep Thunar.

And If I copy a file to a directory with (nearly) the same name as an existing file _but_ with one or more of the characters in a different case (ie a different filename on *nix) , it gets treated as if it was a duplicate file - it has [1] added before the first period.

But a tool I use all the time now - thanks for the work.

Pete.

Last edited by shetland_breeder (2010-08-07 20:45:21)

#220 2010-08-09 06:56:11

Wittfella

Small update

Changelog wrote:

2.4    9-August-2010
- added owner/permissions to detail view.
- modified single-click navigation -> no action on Ctrl-click.

#221 2010-08-09 07:44:53

archman-cro
Website

Thank you, sir. Works nicely! The only thing my eyes caught was 'qtFM v2.3' instead of 'qtFM v2.4' in the titlebar, but we should just ignore it.

Cheers. smile

Last edited by archman-cro (2010-08-09 07:45:31)

#222 2010-08-09 08:44:22

shetland_breeder
Website

Just the job Wittfella - thanks.

For those who don't want to wait for 2.4.1:

line 150 in mainwindow.cpp (src/qtfm-2.4/src/mainwindow.cpp) has the title-bar version. Then comment out the source= and md5sums= lines in PKGBUILD and rebuild - makepkf -sf

Pete

#223 2010-08-09 08:56:19

archman-cro
Website

Awesome, shetland! Fixed. Thank you! smile

#224 2010-08-13 04:10:29

anonymous_user

Was the column for file type removed? I wanted to sort my files by type but couldn't.

#225 2010-08-13 08:04:41

shetland_breeder
Website

Archman-cro - the file type column has been re-used for the permissions. I wondered why Wittfella hadn't just added a column until I started looking into how you would do that...

So ATM you are stuck with the column being used for 'Owner', unless you are feeling brave, in which case comment out lines 199 to 217 of mymodel.cpp. (from the first 'else' in MyModel::data to the '}' before the second 'else') and re-build as ^^^. No warranty!

Maybe Wittfella can be persuaded to add another column/add a button to toggle it/add a compile-time switch (since I seem to be the only person who's asked for this feature)?

Pete

PS, Wittfella, I've added 'group' to this column and like it even more wink

Last edited by shetland_breeder (2010-08-13 08:05:15)

Board footer