You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-09 09:28:38

RobF

SOLVED - English thesaurus doesn't work in OpenOffice Writer 3.2.1

I'm using OpenOffice Writer v.3.2.1 in current Arch Linux.  To enable spell and grammar checking and for a thesaurus, it appears one has to install the appropriate extension(s).  I did that by going to Tools -> Extension Manager, selecting  Add, navigating to /usr/lib/openoffice/share/extension/install, picking the dictionary "dict-en.oxt" (file dated 6/1/10) and clicking Open.  That installed the "English spelling and hyphenation dictionaries and thesaurus 2010.03.16".  Spell-checking and hyphenation do indeed work and are supported through the Hunspell SpellChecker and Libhyphen Hyphenator, resp.

However, with this extension, the thesaurus doesn't work.  In Tools>Language, the entry "Thesaurus" is greyed out and CTRL+F7 doesn't work.  In Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids, under "Available language modules" no thesaurus or grammar modules are listed.  When I press the "Edit" button in that dialog box, the categories Grammar and Thesaurus are there but no specific modules are listed for them.  No separate English thesaurus appears to be available at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/dictionary .

How can I get a decent thesaurus to work from within OOo Writer?

EDIT: To be able to use the thesaurus requires installation of libmythes. Thanks to Robert Tucker for pointing out the fix.

Last edited by RobF (2010-08-09 21:46:51)

Board footer