You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-07 17:12:10

sxe

Wine and Internet Explorer 6

At first, yes this sound like pain in the ass but i need ie6 for the launcher of a game so please don't make suggestions that using firefox is better.. i know.. wink

ok, heres my problem and it seems its a problem with my arch installation cause on other system it does not seem to exist.

I installed wine from community and all the other bin32* packages needed.

I also installed winetricks and tried to install ie6 with "winetricks ie6".

But everytime i do so i get a message from the ie6 installer that i'm using a 64bit system and ie6 cannot be installed. The same happens with ie7 and ie8 and i don't know why. I'm absolutely lost with this cause i have tried everything i can imagine. I made hundreds of new winprefixes, tried installing ie6 by executing the setup manually, removed winetricks, cleard the cashes, asked for help in #winehq and #archlinux but nothing help. So i hope someone can help me here.

btw, running other 32bit apps works like expectet. I can even play wow or other games. Only ie installation fails.

*edit: I noticed something else. Installing bin32-wine-suse from AUR does not work at all but it claims that my wineprefixes created with community/wine are 64bit prefixes.. I don't know how this is possible and if this message is a failure of bin32-wine-suse or with community/wine.

tltr:
ie6 installer thinks i'm using a 64bit host but only on my system on other system installation og ie6 works like a charm.

cya

Last edited by sxe (2010-08-08 10:46:17)

#2 2010-08-08 10:09:13

idx

Re: Wine and Internet Explorer 6

Hi !

have you tried using the scripts here :
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

They always worked well for me. There's even a pacakage in the AUR:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=11952

#3 2010-08-08 10:27:12

sxe

Hi idx, thx for helping me.

Yes i tried it but without luck so far. Furthermore, there has to me a more general problem with my archlinux installation, cause installing ie6 with winetricks works on other 64 bit machines that are using 32bit wine. So something has to be messed up here but i have no clue what.. hmm I'm totally lost with this problem, cause the only option i see is reinstalling archlinux. And that is no real option to me.

Anyway, i will try to install ie6 with ie4linux again. Can you tell me how to tell ie4linux which wineprefix to use?

*edit:  See edit in the frist post too.

Last edited by sxe (2010-08-08 10:51:23)

#4 2010-08-09 09:21:49

sxe

ok, here we go.

I managed to get ie6 installed but its not a real solution. What i did? I removed wine 1.3 installed wine 1.2 from AUR (bin32-wine-wow-hardware-cursor).
The strange thing is that after installing wine from AUR i could not use my previously created wineprefixes, cause wine complained that they are 64 bit prefixes. o_0

So i simply created a new prefix and everything works like a charm now.. i don't get whats the problem and I'm much more interested in finding a real solution.

Anyway thx to all. If someone know whats going wrong with wine 1.3 i would be happy to know it.

#5 2010-08-10 08:25:17

idx

Hi,

I re-read your original post more attentively, and may have a few suggestions on what's going on.

I installed wine from community and all the other bin32* packages needed.

First of all, I trust you're on a 64 bit installation of Arch, right ? So am I. I uninstalled the old version of bin32-wine-suse that I was using, and installed the version from [community], as well as winetricks, to have the same setup that you originally created. Then I tried

mkdir winetest
WINEPREFIX=/home/ivan/winetest winetricks ie6

and sure enough, got an error message form the ie6 installation program telling me the 64 bit architecture isn't supported. This leads me to think that the wine version in [community] is in fact the 64bit version of wine (yes it exists : http://wiki.winehq.org/Wine64). This is rather strange, since pacman -Si wine clearly states :

[...]
Provides       : bin32-wine=1.3.0  wine-wow64=1.3.0
[...]

Maybe this is just so that the package will conflict with 32bit versions of wine from AUR ? If anybody has more information about this, please tell us.

EDIT : I only just thought of going to the wiki, and there it says that both 32 and 64 versions of wine are provided with the package in [community], so the explanation above is probably wrong. Not sure what's going on... could winetricks be using wine64 ? How can you specify which wine path to use ?

However, I then installed bin32-wine-suse from the AUR, and with

mkdir winetest2
WINEPREFIX=/home/ivan/winetest2 winetricks ie6

everything seems to work perfectely. Now, you say in your OP that

Installing bin32-wine-suse from AUR does not work at all

Could you be more specific ? Did you remove wine and winetricks from [community] (bin32-wine-suse comes with it's own version of winetricks, by the way) ? Could you try bin32-wine-suse with a whole new PREFIX like I did, since that seems to work ?

Last edited by idx (2010-08-10 09:10:54)

#6 2010-08-10 09:29:51

idx

Aha, think i got it ! Using the package from [community] :

You can set the architecture for a given wineprefix at the time of creation by using the environment variable WINEARCH, which can be set to win32 or win64. The package from [community] provides both wine and wine64 (see edit in previous post), I suppose when issuing only

winetricks ie6

WINEARCH gets set to win64 at some point.

However, if you create a new prefix folder (e.g. /home/ivan/winetest32/), and then run :

WINEPREFIX=/home/ivan/winetest_32/ WINEARCH=win32 winetricks ie6

everything works fine.

More info on wine environment variables here : http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/x544

Last edited by idx (2010-08-10 09:31:21)

#7 2010-08-10 10:07:38

sxe

Hi idx, thx for testing. Now we know thats not only a problem i have.

idx wrote:

Could you be more specific ? Did you remove wine and winetricks from [community] (bin32-wine-suse comes with it's own version of winetricks, by the way) ? Could you try bin32-wine-suse with a whole new PREFIX like I did, since that seems to work ?

I was wrong with that. I tried it again and now it works.. I think in my last try there was something messed op with the wineprefix.

Thx for your solution. I'm not sure if this is a bug but i think so. I think its a bug cause if you DON'T use "WINEARCH=win32" you are still able to install 32bit windows apps in the prefix you created.. no matter if its 32 oder 64 bit so i think this variable should be set to 32 by default or it should not be possible to install 32 bit apps by default. The current behaviour mixes two architectures in my point of view (you have a 64bit prefix but can install 32 bit software) (sole exception ie6 of course).

What do you think?

#8 2010-08-10 10:26:10

idx

I definitely agree that the present situation can easily lead to confusion. Before calling anything a 'bug', though, I think we should find out when and why WINEARCH is being set to win64, and if that's because of winetricks of wine itself.

An interesting test would be to try to install a 32bit app in a 64bit prefix by manually setting WINEARCH="win64". Have you tried this ? Does it really work ? Also I'm confused as to why wine (32bit) would even run with a 64bit prefix...

Once we have a bit more information, I'll submit a suggestion to add information to the wiki, since IE is an app that quite a few people need for testing purposes.

In the mean time, you could add

export WINEARCH="win32"

to your .bashrc or somewhere, if you're never going to need a 64bit prefix...

Last edited by idx (2010-08-10 10:26:44)

#9 2010-08-10 10:33:05

idx

Hmmm...

From the winehq page I linked previously :

4.5.3. WINEARCH

Specifies the Windows architecture to support. It can be set either to win32 (support only 32-bit applications), or to win64 (support both 64-bit applications and 32-bit ones in WoW64 mode). The architecture supported by a given Wine prefix is set at prefix creation time and cannot be changed afterwards. When running with an existing prefix, Wine will refuse to start if WINEARCH doesn't match the prefix architecture.

Don't know how relevant this is, but the fact that WINEARCH=win64 will run 32bit apps in WoW64 mode (what ever that is) could be relevant : maybe if a prefix has a 64bit architecture, wine64 is used automatically and can run most 32bit apps, but for some reason not IE ? This is speculative though, and would need to be confirmed...

Last edited by idx (2010-08-10 10:33:36)

#10 2010-08-10 11:08:20

sxe

Hey,

idx wrote:

An interesting test would be to try to install a 32bit app in a 64bit prefix by manually setting WINEARCH="win64". Have you tried this ? Does it really work ? Also I'm confused as to why wine (32bit) would even run with a 64bit prefix...

On the link you mentioned before there is this text:
" (...) It can be set either to win32 (support only 32-bit applications), or to win64 (support both 64-bit applications and 32-bit ones in WoW64 mode). (...) "
So the answer to your question seems to be: There is only one wine build currently. Not a wine64 and wine32 bit only wine and this build is able to run both architectures. If WINEARCH is set to "win64" its able to run 32 AND 64 bit apps, what obviously fails trying to install ie6.
*edit: Saw your last post to late.. smile

idx wrote:

In the mean time, you could add

export WINEARCH="win32"

to your .bashrc or somewhere, if you're never going to need a 64bit prefix...

Currently i'm testing around. But your suggestin does not work here. It results in the following error. Strange thing going on here. smile
$ mkdir testwine
$ WINEDEBUG=-all WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/sxe/testwine wine test32bit.exe
wine: WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/sxe/testwine' is a 64-bit installation.

Same happens when exporting WINEARCH before creating the prefix.

*edit: Currently i'm on IRC trying to get an winedev to bothe rhim a bit. ^^

Last edited by sxe (2010-08-10 11:16:29)

#11 2010-08-10 12:16:17

idx

Currently i'm testing around. But your suggestin does not work here. It results in the following error. Strange thing going on here.
$ mkdir testwine
$ WINEDEBUG=-all WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/sxe/testwine wine test32bit.exe
wine: WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/sxe/testwine' is a 64-bit installation.

You're absolutely right, this is the same behaviour as I'm observing. Must have mixed something up before... Wonder what the devs will be able to tell you.

#12 2010-08-10 12:26:47

idx

guess what : try the same thing without making the directory before...

WINEPREFIX=/home/ivan/new_wine_prefix/ WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

:-)

Just to prove that this really does create a 32bit prefix :

$WINEARCH=win64 wine new_wine_prefix/drive_c/windows/notepad.exe
wine: WINEARCH set to win64 but '/home/ivan/.wine' is a 32-bit installation.

By the way, sorry for all the "double" posts, I have to learn to edit rather than repost...

Last edited by idx (2010-08-10 12:28:48)

#13 2010-08-10 13:30:38

sxe

You are right, without creating the directory before it works.  Thx for the hint. So we found a second bug here? smile

There is currently no arch dev online. Maybe i can talk to some later.

Board footer