You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-08 12:18:03

Kane

[Solved] mkinitcpio and sd_mod

Hi guys,
I've been playing around with mkinitcpio and this is my configuration so far:

MODULES="ahci ext4 sd_mod " 
HOOKS="base fglrx"

If i remove sd_mod my system will no longer boot (an error along the lines of "unable to determine major/minor number of root device")
I also got this error when trying to use /dev/disk/by-label in my grub menu.lst after removing udev from the hooks line

The hard drive is a sata hard drive (so should be taken care of by the ahci module?)
Why would i need a scsi disk module for the sytem to work?

Also is there any way to get /dev/disk/by- naming  at boot without udev in the initramfs? (im guessing not - but this is not so much a problem as i only have one hard drive)

Thanks
Kane

Last edited by Kane (2010-08-10 21:17:04)

#2 2010-08-09 16:07:44

Marcel-

Re: [Solved] mkinitcpio and sd_mod

Years ago, the kernel devs decided to use SCSI disk emulation for accessing IDE (and later SATA) hard disks, probably because it's easier to use hard disks using one API, instead of having to support multiple APIs.

Those persistent disk links are provided by udev, so it's not possible to use them without udev (at least not with some workaround I don't know).

#3 2010-08-10 21:16:40

Kane

Re: [Solved] mkinitcpio and sd_mod

Thanks smile

I remember needing scsi emulation for ide disks, i just thought with the (relatively) new pata and sata support this might have changed.

Board footer