You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-11 00:16:23

Logicien

ArchLinux or any Linux OS can reboot when init start on eMachines e727

Hello,
it is my first message on this forum. I am happy to see you. big_smile I am an ArchLinux user for a couple of years now. It's my main operating system and I am generally more satisfy with it then others GNU/Linux distributions. Congradulations ArchLinux team and developers. wink

I bought an eMachines E627 notebook recently. I install the amd64 version of ArchLinux without problem. Only the Broadcom BCM4312 cause me problem with the b43 and ndiswrapper modules. b43 is suppose to have the good firmware install by the b43-fwcutter package. I can scan and see wireless networks, sometimes I can connect, but I am disconnected immediately. With the 32 or 64 bits versions of the Windows wireless drivers, loading ndiswrapper module give a ooops. So only the broadcom-station wl driver work for the moment. wl only compile without errors from AUR when both x686 and x86_64 architectures are enabled in the PKGBUILD. If I disable x686 it stop with errors.

The wl module lie on it's status or it's configuration state. If I disable the wifi with ifconfig or ip command and then put the card in Ad-Hoc mode, it continue to say it is in Managed mode when executing iwconfig. Only when all parameters are configured and the card is associated with the other end, it begin to say it's in Ad-Hoc mode. If I use WEP key encryption it's always say the encryption is off. Because the communication between machines stop to work if I disable encryption, I know the card accept encryption. Only with the good key, it work. So now wireless troubles cannot prevent me from using this card. I will continue to try to make b43 work.

My main problem is with Linux and/or boot scripts in general. Most of the distributions I tried, ArchLinux, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, can reboot without any explainable reason, according with the logs, when init start. With ArchLinux, it reboot when udev is busy. I have to shutdown the machine with poweroff. Then I have more chances to have a normal boot. Reboots generally appears two or three times in a row, after what I have severals normals boots. If I skip any runlevel and pass init=/bin/bash to the kernel it never reboot.

One day my cabled network card Atheros AR8132 / L1c Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev c0) stop to be detected by Windows Seven and ArchLinux. I had to unplug power and battery after poweroff, wait awhile, replug power and battery. Then the card was detected again. I upgrade the BIOS from 1.08 when buy to 1.10. 1.09 and 1.10 versions slow the memory bus from 400 mHz to 333 mHz. Because my memory is 3 gigs of DDR2 667, 333 mHz is the good speed. Unable to have the reason of this by eMachines support. One other tricky thing with this laptop is that the remaining full capacity of the battery is 4422 mAh when the design full capacity is 4400 mAh, according to acpitool.

So if you think these are not only bugs form eMachines and can be resolv by others means, please let me know.

Last edited by Logicien (2010-08-11 00:56:24)

Board footer