You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-11 16:54:17

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Goofed-up main menu when reverting to KDE 4.4.5 from KDE 4.5

Last night I gave into temptation and installed KDE 4.5 from testing. Then this morning, I changed my mind and reverted to KDE 4.4.5. (Women do *not* have a monopoly on changing one's mind.)

My return to safety went well except for the fact that the main KDE menu (activated by the big K with the gear) now shows up as a series of colorful diagonal stripes with a big white space in the middle.

I had already restored my previous ~/.kde4, but, beyond that, I can't figure out what to do to get the menu to display properly.

Even when I launch kde as root, the menu looks like this, so I think the damage is perhaps more profound than user configuration files.

Thanks for any help!

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2010-08-11 17:57:32

Anonymo
Website

Re: Goofed-up main menu when reverting to KDE 4.4.5 from KDE 4.5

You dun goofed

#3 2010-08-11 18:37:03

dhave

Anonymo wrote:

You dun goofed

Yup. But at least I still have my health.

I've gotten close to restoring things by entirely removing all things kde and then re-installing kde4.4.5. The K menu was still distorted, but, after first unlocking widgets, I was able to change to classic KDE menu style. Then I changed back to newfangled KDE (Kickoff?) style and got a menu space that's not distorted. However, it's completely empty. Sort of like having a car with no engine.

QUESTION: Where is the menu info for this new-style KDE K menu kept? Is there a config file somewhere other than in ~/.kde4 that I could use to restore my old menu? I don't need all my favorites and such, but I would like to be able to *use* the new-style menu.

The classic menu is fully operational.

Thanks, k-friends.

Last edited by dhave (2010-08-11 18:41:58)

Donate to Arch!

#4 2010-08-11 18:56:15

jlacroix

I think it's here:

~/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu

#5 2010-08-11 19:47:14

dhave

jlacroix wrote:

I think it's here:

Thanks. That config file does indeed govern at least the classic style K menu, and I guess it does the same for the kickoff style K menu. It's intact and it's doing its job for the classic style K menu. But when I switch to kickoff style, the menu still is completely empty -- though at least not distorted.

A real kmystery...

Donate to Arch!

#6 2010-08-11 20:18:35

jlacroix

dhave wrote:
jlacroix wrote:

I think it's here:

Thanks. That config file does indeed govern at least the classic style K menu, and I guess it does the same for the kickoff style K menu. It's intact and it's doing its job for the classic style K menu. But when I switch to kickoff style, the menu still is completely empty -- though at least not distorted.

A real kmystery...

You could try making a backup copy of the entire menus folder and then log in again. You may want to do so while you're not logged in to KDE because I've known KDE to add things back that I delete (as far as configurations) upon logoff.

I recommend rebooting, and when KDM comes up press ALT+CTRL+F1, log in, and them back up and rename the menus folder, .kde4 folder, and .kde folder if it exists. When you log in you will get a completely fresh set up.

#7 2010-08-11 21:05:57

dhave

What's weird is that the menu options still seem to be there, they're just invisible. I can click around in the white space and launch apps, etc. I've tried toying with different color schemes to see if I inadvertently chose white-on-white menu text or something, but I still can't make the menu text reappear.

It's k-razy. Make that k-nnoying.

Last edited by dhave (2010-08-11 21:06:22)

Donate to Arch!

#8 2010-08-11 21:53:23

dhave

More kraziness.

In turns out that the Kickoff launcher is just a widget like any other. I now recall that I once knew this, but my hard drive (brain, that is) must have some bad sectors.

If I position the Kickoff launcher widget on the main panel and open it so that it drops down (I keep my main panel at the top), all menu items are invisible.

If I position the Kickoff launcher widget on the desktop and open it, all the menu items appear as they're supposed to.

Whassup with this?

Donate to Arch!

Board footer