You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-16 20:45:28

Davor

[Partially solved]Compiz questions and Cairo dock installation

Hello!
I've recently installed Arch and I'm very satisfied with it (64-bit system with GNOME). However, I have some questions I was hoping you could help me with.
Since I installed Compiz, when I move the mouse to the edge of the screen, I can't scroll. For example, when I open up a long website in a browser, when the pointer is on the edge of the screen, as far as it can go, I can't click on the slider nor scroll with the wheel.
Since the installation, every time I want to reboot or shutdown, it asks for my password. How can I restart or turn off without the system prompting me for my password? The user is in the power group.

[SOLVED]
I can't find a way to install the Cairo dock. I have tried the yaourt method (link is at the end of the post) but when I try to install the package via yaourt, the terminal says:

# yaourt -S cairo-dock cairo-dock-plugins
/usr/lib/yaourt/basicfunctions.sh: line 12: /usr/bin/package-query: No such file or directory
error: 'cairo-dock': could not find or read package

Link (yaourt):
http://www.glx-dock.org/ww_page.php?p=A … es&lang=en
[/SOLVED]

[I'm not experiencing these problems since switching from Xfce to GNOME]
Since the installation of Compiz, it sometimes asks me for my password on power tasks. My user is in the power group.
The lower panel has became transparent. How can I return it to its full opacity?

Thanks in advance wink

Last edited by Davor (2010-07-22 15:29:41)

#2 2010-07-17 22:29:35

Davor

Re: [Partially solved]Compiz questions and Cairo dock installation

Bump?

#3 2010-07-17 22:38:09

hokasch

/usr/lib/yaourt/basicfunctions.sh: line 12: /usr/bin/package-query: No such file or directory

That line should tell you something is missing on your system... Check the yaourt dependencies.

#4 2010-07-22 12:00:33

Davor

Sorry for the late reply, I was away from home. The problem was with the package-query (obviously) dependency. The package in the repos is only for the i686 architecture so I downloaded and compiled the source and ran yaourt -S cairo-dock and it did the trick! Thanks! big_smile
Now does anyone have any ideas about the other issues? (I've switched to GNOME so some of the problems are gone and I removed them from my post.)

#5 2010-07-22 13:28:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Davor wrote:

(I've switched to GNOME so some of the problems are gone and I removed them from my post.)

Please don't do that. Leave the questions so that if anyone in future finds the thread through googling they know what went on. Altering your post should only be done if there's something which people shouldn't read (ie. offensive or illegal).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-07-22 15:29:22

Davor

I am terribly sorry, I was not aware of that. Post edited.

#7 2010-07-23 14:02:55

Davor

I've got another problem but it is not related to Compiz or Cairo. I have 2 partitions formatted in ntfs which I'd like to be mounted at startup. I've added them in my fstab but when I try to access them from Nautilus, I don't have permissions. I've tried changing the options from default to user, setting the mount point to my /home directory and running Nautilus as root and then setting my user as the directory in which the partitions are mounted but I still don't have permissions for the subdirectories and it would take a lot of time to manage permissions for every and each one of those.

My fstab:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

/dev/sdb2 /boot ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb4 / ext4 defaults 0 1

/dev/sda1 /home/davor/HDD750 ntfs user 0 1
/dev/sdb1 /home/davor/HDD160 ntfs user 0 1

Last edited by Davor (2010-07-23 14:07:11)

#8 2010-08-11 17:27:04

wckd
Website

Davor wrote:

I've got another problem but it is not related to Compiz or Cairo. I have 2 partitions formatted in ntfs which I'd like to be mounted at startup. I've added them in my fstab but when I try to access them from Nautilus, I don't have permissions. I've tried changing the options from default to user, setting the mount point to my /home directory and running Nautilus as root and then setting my user as the directory in which the partitions are mounted but I still don't have permissions for the subdirectories and it would take a lot of time to manage permissions for every and each one of those.

My fstab:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
devpts                 /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
shm                    /dev/shm      tmpfs     nodev,nosuid        0      0

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

/dev/sdb2 /boot ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/sdb3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/sdb4 / ext4 defaults 0 1

/dev/sda1 /home/davor/HDD750 ntfs user 0 1
/dev/sdb1 /home/davor/HDD160 ntfs user 0 1

Try ntfs-3g, not ntfs - that's the "old" one (I think?).

#9 2010-08-12 05:37:07

noodles

If you want to change permissions then it's better to use a terminal command line.
Open a term and type 'man chown' to see how to do a recursive change of ownership with the -R option.

Last edited by noodles (2010-08-12 05:40:03)

Board footer