You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-12 14:15:03

Paaskehare
Website

[Solved] Sound with ALSA and PulseAudio at the same time?

Hi, I am using arch linux to play Counter Strike on.

While it works fine and all, I just don't get any sound in CS because I am using Mangler, which only seems to work with my microphone if I use PulseAudio.

I hope this is a rather simple issue, basicly, I just want to enable sound in PulseAudio and ALSA at the same time, is this possible? smile

Last edited by Paaskehare (2010-08-12 15:39:09)

im.ole

#2 2010-08-12 14:19:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [Solved] Sound with ALSA and PulseAudio at the same time?

Read the wiki on Pulseaudio, you can set alsa up so that all ALSA apps play through pulseaudio.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-08-12 14:39:26

Paaskehare
Website

I have read that PulseAudio decreases sound quality, and therefore I would not like to use this as a systemwide driver, but rather only where it is needed.

Please correct me if I am wrong smile

Edit:

Ok, sound quality isn't noticeably worse, so this will do. HOWEVER, while I am in Counter Strike my sound is delayed by ~1 second, and it is therefore useless, any thoughts on that matter?

Edit again .. Solved this time:

I set my ALSA plugin in winecfg to "Hardware Acceleration: Emulation" - that seemed to do the trick.

Last edited by Paaskehare (2010-08-12 15:38:56)

im.ole

#4 2010-08-12 23:08:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Paaskehare wrote:

I have read that PulseAudio decreases sound quality, and therefore I would not like to use this as a systemwide driver, but rather only where it is needed.

Please correct me if I am wrong smile

You are wrong smile but you've figured that out yourself already.

Pulseaudio is the target of a whole lot of bias. No, its not perfect, but it does a particular job well, without many downsides. Audio quality is not one of them.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer