You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-09 21:20:14

shinobi

Problems starting X

I decided to install Arch on my main machine. Pacman'd xorg and hwd (and ran hwd -s) but I'm having a problem starting x now. My xinitrc seems to be okay with an echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc thrown in for good measure.

The problem seems to be numerous font renderers? I'm getting errors for about 8-9 font renderers already configured somewhere else or something to that effect? Does anybody have any suggestions at all what to do with this?

#2 2005-04-09 21:28:59

arooaroo
Website

Re: Problems starting X

I've never enountered that type of error before. Also, I'm not really familiar with hwd. Are you saying that you used hwd to generate your /etc/xorg.conf?

The way I got X configured was following the wiki:
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/In … ure%20xorg

You've already pacman'ed xorg, so run xorgconfig (as root) and answer the questions. Note the question about your mouse device. By default, it'll give /dev/mouse, but with Arch, you'll need /dev/input/mice, otherwise, X may freeze on loading.

See how that goes. If it turns out that's what you did, you will need to give us some more precise info. (/var/log/Xorg.0.log should give you plenty of data)

#3 2005-04-09 21:37:20

shinobi

In lieu of xorgconfig, you run hwd -s (after getting the package via Pacman of course) which generates a xorg.conf.hwd sample file for you. After that you just rename it to xorg.conf and use that.

The beauty of it, is that it automatically detects everything for you. It worked for me on another machine about 3 weeks ago, but now I'm having problems on my new machine.

#4 2005-04-09 21:47:47

arooaroo
Website

shinobi wrote:

In lieu of xorgconfig, you run hwd -s (after getting the package via Pacman of course) which generates a xorg.conf.hwd sample file for you. After that you just rename it to xorg.conf and use that.

The beauty of it, is that it automatically detects everything for you. It worked for me on another machine about 3 weeks ago, but now I'm having problems on my new machine.

In which case, perhaps you better try the old-fashioned method of xorgconfig wink I don't think it'll cause you many difficulties. You can always use hwd to give  you the necessary info about your system, and use that for whatever xorgconfig asks you.

#5 2005-04-09 22:13:19

shinobi

I've actually done that and got the same result...

#6 2005-04-09 22:21:24

arooaroo
Website

shinobi wrote:

I've actually done that and got the same result...

Right. Well, some output from the logs will probably give better insight. Any lines beginning with "WW" or especially "EE" will be important.

#7 2005-04-09 22:51:50

shinobi

I will post them here tonight when I get home (currently at work). Thanks for the insight thusfar...

#8 2005-04-09 22:52:35

Stinky

If you haven't done a:
pacman -Syu since install, it might be worth it to at least give it a shot.  then reboot.  {shrug}

Board footer