You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-24 12:23:52

sironitomas
Website

[SOLVED] Chromium and Openbox

Hi there... I've been using openbox with Chromium for a while. The speed of both toghether is very good. There is only one thing that make me mad. When I open something I just downloaded with Chromium, somewhy it calls Firefox to open that file. I think the problem is not the browser because when I was in KDE, I could open everything fine directly from Chromium. Even if I chose the 'Show in folder' option, openbox stiil calling firefox for that and it open the directory using file://. What I want to know is if there is some configuration file in Openbox I can change for open things correctly... Thanks, and sory for my english!

Last edited by sironitomas (2010-09-09 18:30:20)

#2 2010-06-24 12:55:58

byzkarl

Re: [SOLVED] Chromium and Openbox

I have the same problem. A solution would be appreciated!

#3 2010-06-24 13:00:40

sironitomas
Website

byzkarl wrote:

I have the same problem. A solution would be appreciated!

Glad that I'm not the only one!

#4 2010-06-24 13:22:18

Wittfella

I think its an xdg-open thing.  Chromium probably just calls xdg-open which then uses the mimetype of whatever file it is to figure out what application to use to open it.  If there is no mime association set for that type of file, xdg-open generally falls back to opening it in a browser, in your case firefox.

Same with the 'Show in folder' option in chromium.  You need to set a xdg mime association for the file type 'application/x-directory'.

A way to set mime filetype associations in an openbox environment are through filemanager programs like pcmanfm or qtfm.

Hope this helps,
Wittfella

#5 2010-06-24 13:26:44

sultanoswing

Hey witty wink

6.5.3.arch1-1(x86_64) w/Gnome 44.4
Arch on: ASUS Pro-PRIME x470, AMD 5800X3D, AMD 6800XT, 32GB, | Intel NUC 7i5RYK | ASUS ux303ua | Surface Laptop

#6 2010-06-24 13:45:31

sironitomas
Website

I think the file mimetypes are already set, because when I go to system-preferences of KDE, there are  hundreds of files with its programs... But the problem still here. I checked and the problem is xdg-open.

Last edited by sironitomas (2010-06-24 13:46:07)

#7 2010-06-24 13:52:25

Peanut

You can set the default applications (used by e.g. xdg-open) by installing the package perl-file-mimeinfo from the repositories, and invoke the mimeopen command like this:

mimeopen -d /path/to/file

You will then be asked what application to use when opening /path/to/file:

Please choose a default application for files of type text/plain

1) notepad  (wine-extension-txt)
        2) Leafpad  (leafpad)
        3) OpenOffice.org Writer  (writer)
        4) gVim  (gvim)
        5) Other...

Your answer will be set as the default handler for that type of file. Works like a charm smile

If you really want to, you can also modify ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list manually; the format is quite simple:

image/png=image-viewer.desktop
video/x-matroska=video-player.desktop
(...)

Last edited by Peanut (2010-06-24 13:57:42)

#8 2010-06-24 14:05:18

botzoboy

#9 2010-06-24 15:59:51

sironitomas
Website

Thanks Peanut. Problem Solved!!

#10 2010-06-29 23:41:34

supulton

Peanut wrote:

You can set the default applications (used by e.g. xdg-open) by installing the package perl-file-mimeinfo from the repositories, and invoke the mimeopen command like this:

2) Leafpad  (leafpad)
        4) gVim  (gvim)
        5) Other...

Your answer will be set as the default handler for that type of file. Works like a charm smile

If you really want to, you can also modify ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list manually; the format is quite simple:

(...)

Thanks! This has been bugging me for a while. smile

#11 2010-08-13 10:09:49

zoqaeski

Awesome mimeopen is useful.

But I'm still getting issues with xdg-open and Chromium: xdg-open asks the DE for what to open, and uses xdg-mime as a fallback if no DE is found. I'm using Xfce, and yet want to change my file manager but exo-open (which is what xdg-open calls for Xfce) appears to be locked to calling Thunar. Is there any way around this, say to configure exo-open?

Last edited by zoqaeski (2010-08-13 10:11:16)

#12 2010-08-13 12:17:54

Labello
Website

supulton wrote:
Peanut wrote:

2) Leafpad  (leafpad)
        4) gVim  (gvim)
        5) Other...

(...)

Thanks! This has been bugging me for a while. smile

i added this to the wiki since i recently found another method and i added this one^^

"They say just hold onto your hope but you know if you swallow your pride you will choke"
Alexisonfire - Midnight Regulations

#13 2010-08-13 12:36:38

ammon

How did you solve magnet link handling in Chromium? It first opens firefox, then bittorent manager.

#14 2011-12-30 16:25:47

algorythm

I know this is a seriously old thread but in case of magnet links (which "mimeopen" refuses to open) you can either:

1. straightly edit the line 552 in the (/usr/bin/)xdg-open script and add the torrent client before "chromium-browser" or "google-chrome" so that it looks something like this: http://pastebin.com/nt8nDPv9:

2. or just symlink your torrent client to some of the browsers listed there (e.g. "mozilla" since nothing uses that name anyway).

Problem is now that xdg-open is supposed to open anything else with Chromium/Google Chrome it opens them in that same torrent client. Dunno how often this is gonna happen, though.

Yeah, and for some reason manually adding "x-scheme-handler/magnet=qBittorrent.desktop" to "~/home/det/.local/share/applications/defaults.list" won't do anything, which is why I did it like this.

“Talent you can bloom. Instinct you can polish.”  — Haikyuu!! (adapted)
“If everybody thought alike, no one would be thinking very much.”  — Walter Lippmann (adapted)
“The important thing is to be able, at any moment, to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.”  — Charles Dubois

#15 2012-01-20 12:21:22

danilo
Website

I'm having the same problem. I reported the bug(?) in the arch bug tracker: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28011 Feel free to vote for it if it bugs you too (no pun intended tongue).

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." - George Orwell

Board footer