You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-14 10:28:16

b33

Grub and disk issues

Yesterday i was using my computer as i normally would, then it freezes, turn it off, turn it on... boom grub error 17
(i have windows 7 and archlinux dualbooting for reference)

so, i headed to the arch wiki,

i got archboot running on a usbpen, it takes a life to boot, a lot of read errors from my harddrive ( i will post some of them later for reference )
i enter the command line,

i do just like the wiki says:

i try

fdisk /dev/sda and the the extra fix write
it tells me there's nothing wrong with the disk order.

then onto fix grub:

root (hd0,1) -->(my linux root is on sda2)
and it gives me Error 25: Disk read error, and this prevents me of going further ( i think )

i'm pretty clueless how to solve this, i also tried Super Grub disk, didn't detect anything linux related, i almost can boot windows but hangs and reboots.I am already on the mindset that i lost everything sad
i would appreciate any help.

#2 2010-08-14 12:25:10

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Grub and disk issues

You do realise your very Arch installation CD can double as a rescue CD right?

You're not clear on where you are trying to install GRUB (at the start of sda2?). The best way is to install GRUB in the MBR and let it handle the booting of all OSes on your system. And don't start swapping around HDs in your BIOS, if you have multiple disks. The Arch wiki has very clear and concise instructions on how to (re)install GRUB from scratch if you need to.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2010-08-14 13:17:24

b33

Re: Grub and disk issues

Ok thanks, I was a bit lost on what to do, I will read further on what you said, thanks for the help

edit: i'm still trying, but it takes like half an hour for my laptop to boot into the archlinux that i have on usb
here's two pics of the errors during boot that i talked about:

http://imgur.com/XTqGQ.jpg

http://imgur.com/B4scx.jpg
i search a bit and this comes often related to dead hardrives sad

now i am trying to mount my partitions to do a change root to reinstall grub, but it seems to hang when i try to mount any of them :\

EDIT2: i am getting "Wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2, missing code page or helper program or othe error"
i did dmesg | tail after and i got the same error as the second picture

i am also getting a SATA cable borrowed from a friend since i have only one on my desktop to get acess to the harddrive directly to backup some files if possible :\

Last edited by b33 (2010-08-14 20:01:40)

Board footer