You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-13 00:14:59

MNKyDeth

Cannot start samba

Well, as the title says, I cannot seem to start the samba server. I need it for file access across my network. I just downloaded the most recent samba 3.0.0.2 or something like that. I typed /etc/rc.d/samba start and it gave me an error

Starting samba server       [fail]

I tried a chmod +x /etc/rc.d/samba also but when I tried the /etc/rc.d/samba start it failed again. I really have no idea what is wrong, can anyone help?  sad

#2 2003-10-13 01:00:39

zen_guerrilla

Re: Cannot start samba

Pls provide some more info, like your smb.conf, /var/log/samba/* error messages, 'tail /var/log/messages | grep smb' et al.
That way you should get reasonable answers to your exact problem.

#3 2003-10-13 01:29:21

MNKyDeth

Re: Cannot start samba

Ok, in the smb.config.default I changed the workgroup name and put a ; in front of the load printer option. That's all I did in that file as the window computer does not need to access my files only me accessing the window computer.

Ok, I see what I did wrong. I did not make my changes to the file and then save it as smb.conf I left the file name as smb.conf.default.

Once I went back in and resaved the file as smb.conf the service seemed to start up just fine.

On to the next problem now. BTW, thanks for the help. I would have not caught that otherwise. smile

I use xfce4 and when I use the file manager there is a smb option in it. when I click the little arrow on it to browse the smb network I see the computer I need to connect to but am not sure how to view the files on it. This is what I get in the little window at the bottom of the file browser.

192.168.0.111 __MSBROWSE__<01>
XFSAMBA> nmblookup -A 192.168.0.111
Looking up status of 192.168.0.111
    BILL-VENEKLASE  <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
    SHADOW TECH INC <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
    BILL-VENEKLASE  <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
    SHADOW TECH INC <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
    SHADOW TECH INC <1d> -         M <ACTIVE>
    ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>

XFSAMBA> smbclient -N -L //BILL-VENEKLASE
Anonymous login successful

Sharename      Type      Comment
    ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Anonymous login successful

Server               Comment
    ---------            -------

Workgroup            Master
    ---------            -------

Bill-veneklase is the computer I need to get to and shadow tech is the name of the network. Don't worry I feel pretty safe behind all my firewalls and router. smile
I am not for sure how to go about accessing the windows computer. Any more help would be appreciated.

Board footer