You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-15 18:11:25

hashiru

[SOLVED] No "Custom Filters" in MythTV menu

Hello.

I am currently trying to make my MythTV frontend play HD videos smoothly and the MythTV wiki says that I should try adding "vdpaubuffersize=32" if I suffer from artifacts (which I am at my HD anime). According to the MythTV docs there should be an option called "Custom Filters" in Setup->TV Settings->Playback, but I cannot find any text field for filters there.

I am asking this question here, because I guess that the archlinux version of MythTV is somewhat special. A mythfrontend --version results in:

Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : Unknown
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
Network Protocol : 23056
Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
QT Version       : 4.6.3
Options compiled in:
 linux release using_oss using_alsa using_backend using_dvb using_firewire using_fribidi using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mhe

I am using the plugin "mythplugins-mythvideo" from pacman for playback of local videos.

Do you know if the option has moved somewhere else, where I have not found it yet? or I need to enable something?

Last edited by hashiru (2010-08-16 10:11:25)

my basic setup: openbox | pypanel | urxvt

http://stefan-koch.name/

#2 2010-08-16 08:05:56

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] No "Custom Filters" in MythTV menu

Go to TV Settings > Playback, page 3. There should be a list of different playback profiles, one of which will be used depending on the size of the video. If you don't know which is which, just do this for all of them:
1) Click edit
2) Optionally fiddle with these settings
3) Click next
4) Fiddle with deinterlacers and custom filters
In my experience the artifacts are much better now than they were when VDPAU first came out. Are you using the most recent NVIDIA driver?

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#3 2010-08-16 10:11:11

hashiru

Thanks a lot, I would not have found it there… I often was in that menu but I did not pay attention that there is a "next" button even in the submenu.

Seemed to work, I do not see any artifacts anymore in my 720p videos (mkv) after having added vdpaubuffersize. With the new value the CPU also remains at about 5-10% (on one core) even at 1080i (Big Buck Bunny, H264). Elephants Dream still goes much higher, but still seems to play smoothly.

Sweet smile

my basic setup: openbox | pypanel | urxvt

http://stefan-koch.name/

#4 2010-08-17 08:26:30

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

Nice, glad it works for you. My GPU got up to 116 degrees Celsius the other day watching a 1080i movie neutral

Last edited by PirateJonno (2010-08-17 08:26:53)

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

Board footer