You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-17 05:53:55

Vermillion

resize ext4 filesystem

I wasn't sure where to put this topic if it's in the wrong place sorry.

My / partition goes out of space because i installed some large apps (okay the "apps" are games tongue ). So i want to extend it because i got plenty of free space in my /home partition. I found this howto but i also read somewhere (can't remember but if you want i can search for the link an post it) that resize2fs is known for corrupting the filesystem.

Is there any other way to do this? What would you recommend?

Of course i would back up all my data but it's always annoying if you have to install from scratch....

#2 2010-08-17 06:18:24

cubeist

Re: resize ext4 filesystem

This thread was started earlier today, with almost the same query:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=103005

I would advise doing a complete backup before doing *anything* with a partition, even a resize

also, you technically don't have to run programs from the usual locations (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc), although there are security concerns from running software out of your /home dir, so it is not recommended.

#3 2010-08-17 06:35:24

Vermillion

hmm seems like i did a bad forum search...

I took a look at parted magic web page but i actually have no plan which of all these tools is the right for me (in the description i can't see anything about ext4) but i will try it if i am at home again.

EDIT: What would be if i delete my /home partition give all the space to the / partition and then create /home in / (sounds a bit confusing but i am think this would be the least effort).

Last edited by Vermillion (2010-08-17 06:42:18)

#4 2010-08-17 09:38:50

karol
Archivist

Vermillion wrote:

hmm seems like i did a bad forum search...

I took a look at parted magic web page but i actually have no plan which of all these tools is the right for me (in the description i can't see anything about ext4) but i will try it if i am at home again.

EDIT: What would be if i delete my /home partition give all the space to the / partition and then create /home in / (sounds a bit confusing but i am think this would be the least effort).

I would suggest you burn the parted magic liveCD and use Gparted, which in turn will use the right tools for your filesysstem. It's a very easy program http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php and the changes are applied only when you say so, so you can slice and dice to your hearts content and undo any mistakes before committing the changes.

I needed to resize my / partition (it was only 10 GB) and shrink my /home (65 GB) because Unreal Tournament 2004 is great fun but also has rather large space requirements ;P and I did it with a couple of clicks and then let the computer repartition the drive (it took some time). It was ext4 and it all went well.

#5 2010-08-17 10:46:04

Vermillion

Cool thank you. My / is only 10 GB, too. So now i am full of hope that it will work smile

Board footer