You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-17 11:52:57

EvanPurkhiser
Website

Afew Ratpoison WM Questions

Hello!

I am very much a perfectionist as well as a minimalist, and so far I like the rat poison WM a lot! however there are a few minor issues that the perfectionist side of me just wont let slip by.

Is there any way to set the padding/margin between each of rat poisons frames?
Is there any way to 'paint' or set the background color of a frame even if there is nothing in it?
(This question isn't specific to ratpoison really) Is there a way to force xterm to take up the ENTIRE frame and not just size to a even text column/row size? Or can you suggest a terminal emulator that has this type of option?

I will probably have more questions later, but thats all for now!

Thanks!

#2 2010-08-17 18:45:25

splittercode

Re: Afew Ratpoison WM Questions

There's no way to directly set the padding between frames.  You however can make the window borders thicker, but I don't think that is what you want.

The empty frames simply display your wallpaper/background color.  You can use xsetroot or any other wallpaper/background tool to change that, but not on a per frame basis.

The size issue was one that annoyed me as well.  I even tried messing with the source to disable size hints but couldn't figure it out.  However, I eventually found mrxvt, which is a terminal emulator that has a smoothResize option that lets you disable size hints.  The only problem is, mrxvt doesn't support utf8.  For me, that is not too big of a deal, for you it might be though.  To enable smoothResize just install mrxvt, create a ~/.mrxvtrc file and put

Mrxvt.smoothResize:     True

in it.

note:  mrxvt has an incredibly ugly and ridiculous interface when you first start it.  I set some other options in my .mrxvtrc to make it look just like xterm or urxvt(ie: big black square).  Heres my .mrxvtrc, to save you some time if you do decide to use it.

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=npGC0wa5

#3 2010-08-17 22:04:54

EvanPurkhiser
Website

Thanks splitter, that terminal is great, however the missing support for UTF-8 Is bugging me.

I may try messing around with the source code for ratpoison to attempt to get some spacing between the windows. If there was some way to set the borders to be transparent that would work as well.

#4 2010-08-17 22:17:15

splittercode

You may want to try StumpWM (which is what I use), as it has more options for configuring most things like this.  It is essentially 'ratpoison: the sequel', and it behaves in almost the exact same way.  There are a few different settings to change how borders act in StumpWM that I think will give you the effect you're looking for, if you're willing to spend a little bit of time configuring (setting up StumpWM can be a little bit confusing the first time).

#5 2010-08-17 22:32:00

EvanPurkhiser
Website

Alright, I will definitely check out StumpWM. Looks like it will be a fun night of hacking together a clean WM smile

Board footer