You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-18 18:08:53

scotths

[Solved] grub-install hangs

I have an install of ARCH linux on a 2 partitioned hard drive with Ubuntu on a separate partition. Originally the drive contained a 64 bit version of Ubuntu on the first partition. I moved the drive to a different (32 bit) computer and installed 32 bit Ubuntu on the second partition. I then reformatted the first partition and installed 32 bit ARCH running update-grub from Ubuntu which found the new ARCH installation without any difficulty. As this seems to be becoming my main distribution I would like to reinstall grub2 from ARCH. I installed grub2 from the extra repository (1.98-5). When I enter 'sudo grub-install /dev/sda' the command hangs indefinitely. I attempted this in single user mode as well.

I did note the following appearing in /var/log/errors.log and the kernel log:

Aug 18 14:02:46 localhost kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
.. (repeated several times... eventually...)
Aug 18 17:20:54 localhost kernel: Buffer I/O error on device fd0, logical block 0

This seems odd as I don't have a floppy drive connected. Running grub install with the --no-floppy option produced the same result.

EDITED TO ADD: It appears as though the floppy drive related errors are occurring specifically when grub-install is executing. Further they seem to occur when the --no-floppy flag is included.  It appears as though the script is stuck repeatedly trying to access the floppy drive despite the flag.

EDITED WITH SOLUTION: I disabled the floppy drive in the system bios (no drive is/was connected) and grub installed without issue. I didn't realize I had the non-existent drive enabled as oddly ubuntu had no problem with installing grub while the ARCH version ignored my explicit instructions to disregard the floppy drive.

Any suggestions most appreciated!

Last edited by scotths (2010-08-19 17:44:11)

Board footer