You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-18 21:40:38

ersatzgiraffe

Wireless connection disconnects within seconds of connection.

Hi, I'm a new arch linux user and I have been experiencing some problems with my wireless network connection.
So far I've only been using manual connection, because I haven't succeeded in getting the connection to stay connected.

I'm running a Intel Pro/Wireless 5300 AGN card and it appears as my wlan0 connection.
To connect I go through the usual steps:

ifconfig wlan0 up
iwconfig wlan0 essid "linksys"
dhcpcd wlan0

If i do these steps back to back and do not give the connection time to time out it connects successfully and I am fully connected. If I leave it though, it will disconnect within 10-15 seconds and I have to run through all the steps again to reconnect. If, however, I run a ping in the background it will stay connected.

To make sure this was not a driver issue I connected my WUSB54GC wireless USB adapter (wlan1) and was able to successfully connect with it as well. Like the other card though it loses connection unless a ping is running in the background.

I'm connecting to my non-protected linksys router, set to factory defaults.

Thanks for any help!

#2 2010-08-18 22:11:58

karol
Archivist

Re: Wireless connection disconnects within seconds of connection.

Does it happen with other OSes? Can you get a stable wired connection? Try dhcpclient instead of dhcpcd.

#3 2010-08-18 22:33:17

ersatzgiraffe

Sorry, forgot to mention that. I can connect flawlessly wired or wireless in Ubuntu and Windows. The wired connection works fine in arch, it's only wireless that it has problems with.

dhcpclient gave me "-bash: dhcpclient:command not found"

It doesn't seem like dhcp is the problem though. After I set the essid if I let it sit for 10-15 seconds it will disconnect there as well and I have to set it again before continuing to the dhcpcd request.

#4 2010-08-18 22:56:22

samsom

how many seconds does dhcpcd get the lease for?

Samsom

#5 2010-08-18 23:02:05

ersatzgiraffe

86400 seconds

Board footer