You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-19 07:55:11

Haunter

Wireless problems

I've used Arch Linux at various times on my desktop which is directly connected to the internet through ethernet. The internet works seamlessly and I am very impressed by that. The problem I am now having is on my laptop which is wireless. Originally I was attempting to install with a net install but I was unable to connect to the internet so I was unable to install. I figured I may not have had the correct tools needed so I decided to test with the core install. I was able to install correctly I installed all the packages I was able to and went on with it. I went through the standard process in the connection guide wirelessly. Nothing seemed to work. I was always unable to ping www.google.com. So I decided to try to ping my router. That would not work either. So I had determined the problem. Was that I could not connect to the router. During the initial install I tried setting my gateway address to my router, regardless it still did not work.

I am welcome to any help that is given.

Excuse my punctuation, it's 4:00 AM.

EDIT: I figured this was a given but I'll post it anyway. I definitely googled this and tried all of the solutions I could find.

Last edited by Haunter (2010-08-19 07:57:37)

#2 2010-08-19 08:19:07

while

Re: Wireless problems

What tool are you using when trying to connect? I would try to disable encryption on your router to start with and try to connect simply by using iwconfig (here assuming your wireless card is eth1):

ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 essid "your_ssid"
dhcpcd

If this doesn't work there is probably a problem with your card or your drivers. Do you get any error msg in console or in dmesg?

#3 2010-08-19 08:25:44

Haunter

while wrote:

What tool are you using when trying to connect? I would try to disable encryption on your router to start with and try to connect simply by using iwconfig (here assuming your wireless card is eth1):

ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 essid "your_ssid"
dhcpcd

If this doesn't work there is probably a problem with your card or your drivers. Do you get any error msg in console or in dmesg?

Wow, I am honestly blown out of my seat. I could swear I tried this before and it hadn't worked. The only difference I remember is putting "dhcpcd wlan0" or "/sbin/dhcpcd wlan0" though I am not sure how that would do it. I honestly feel like a complete and utter idiot. Thanks for showing me the light, maybe it just had to be posted by you.
To me I guess I need to pay attention to what I am reading more. Like I said thankyou, VERY VERY much.

#4 2010-08-19 08:30:55

while

No worries. Glad to help!

Board footer