You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-11 23:51:59

kcy29581

*.pacnew & *.pacsave files [SOLVED]

Hi all,

I've read the pacman man page and I still need a bit of explaining about pacnew and pacsave files.

The way I see it, the pacsave files are the user-modified files saved if: the original, current and new files are all different.

So what are the pacnew files? I've searched the wiki and docs but can't find an answer.

Also, could people give examples of how they handle the config files and their upgrades? What you personally think of as the best way.

Thanks all

There is no spoon in Arch...

#2 2005-04-12 00:47:14

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: *.pacnew & *.pacsave files [SOLVED]

pacsave are config files that are saved after a removal of a package (pacman -R <package>). Its done so you have those important config files that you have probably spent time on modifying, to be there if you ever want to reinstall the package. appending 'n' to the command (pacman -Rn) will remove these config files.
pacnew files are those consiquently similar config files being updated for a recent package update. Its to let you know there is a new config file structure to be aware of but your original will be unmodified.

#3 2005-04-12 00:51:35

kcy29581

Thanks.

So how do I handle pacnew files? Just by searching for them and checking one by one? There definately isn't a tool such as etc-update/dispatch-conf in Gentoo that shows you the differences and lets you modify the files?

There is no spoon in Arch...

#4 2005-04-12 00:59:18

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

No there isn't a tool for that. Maybe you could post a feature request under the pacman section. But usually pacman will just give warning messages during these procedures. Its up to the user to look at them.

Board footer