You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-20 21:33:10

THCMyst

Setting up HDMI directly from command line

Okay, as KDE is installing on my laptop, I remember an issue I'll be facing.

Currently, I use my laptop as my main machine. Usually its closed on my desk and hooked up to my HDTV. Now I know HDMI works in linux, but my question is, is there a way to get my arch install to send the command line view to my TV, or will I have to open up my laptop and run KDM before I can get everything to show up on my TV?

If the explanation is confusing, Basically I'm still command line and it's showing up on my laptop screen, not my TV, just wondering if there was a way to change that, because I know from the moment my Windows 7 boots up, it's instantly on my TV.

Just one of those things I never thought about till it became an issue.

Last edited by THCMyst (2010-08-20 23:47:27)

#2 2010-08-20 21:39:24

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Setting up HDMI directly from command line

Please use a more descriptive title for your post.

Moving to Newbie Corner...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-08-20 21:42:28

xvello
Website

I guess it depends on your video card, some might allow you to configure the framebuffer on a specific output (with kms and stuff).
But before it, do you really need to start in console mode ? Can't you just autostart kdm on boot ?

#4 2010-08-20 21:55:36

THCMyst

Well I can, but sometimes I like working straight from shell instead of dealing with graphical clutter.

Not 100% how this belongs in the newbie zone, It's not like I'm asking "How do I get VGA to work". Could just be me. I guess I was wrong to see that this is a graphical problem.

Also, Running Nvidia 260M if it helps.

[edit] compiling new kernel and just gonna boot into KDM at start for time being, but if anyone has an idea, I'd be most appreciated.

Last edited by THCMyst (2010-08-20 22:16:21)

#5 2010-08-20 23:00:12

xvello
Website

You should try forcing the framebuffer driver to display the console on the HDMI output (but then you loose output on the laptop panel), see : http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Ker … rcingModes

Haven't figured how to determine the output names from the dmesg log, they may be the same ones as the ones listed by xrandr ?

#6 2010-08-20 23:36:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

THCMyst wrote:

Not 100% how this belongs in the newbie zone, It's not like I'm asking "How do I get VGA to work". Could just be me. I guess I was wrong to see that this is a graphical problem.

You originally had it in Multi-media and Games. And I'll ask politely, again, please change the post title to something more descriptive. This isn't just about your issue - the post will be indexed by Google and, should the community here help you to find an answer, others seeking similar solutions will be unlikely to discover it under such a vague heading.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2010-08-20 23:48:23

THCMyst

I do apologize for the title, and changed it.

As for the section.

Multimedia & Games:
"Audio/Video/Image issues, playback, creation and editing. Also for games support and discussion."

Wouldn't this be under Video Issues? I'd like to know what the difference is so I make sure I post in correct sections from now on.

Board footer