You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-22 11:30:41

yossarianuk

padsp - SNDDMA_Init soundcard doesn't support triggers or mmap

Hi.

I am trying to get round the age old issue of multiple sound outputs when using an OSS app (alsa apps are fine)

I'm actually using Ubuntu  (I have spent hours setting up jack2 correctly in Arch so didn't want to mess any settings - and to be honest the level of advice here tends to be better/quicker..)

I though padsp would do it.

But when I try to use it (on this example with digital paint 2)

morgan@morgan-desktop:~/games/paintball2$ padsp ./paintball2
Quote:
Paintball 2 -- Version 2.0
execing configs/config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
LoadLibrary("./snd_oss.so")
SNDDMA_Init: Sorry, but your soundcard doesn't support trigger or mmap. (00005100)

- I get no sound...

Is it a hardware thing - i.e my soundcard lacks something? (I know it lacks the ability to record its own output without snd-aloop)

Here is my soundcard info:-

morgan@morgan-desktop:~/games/paintball2$ sudo lshw -class sound
*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: MCP55 High Definition Audio
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 6.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:06.1
version: a2
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 maxlatency=5 mingnt=2
resources: irq:22 memory:fc100000-fc103fff

Anyone know if I can do something in order to get it to work or would I need new hardware?

Last edited by yossarianuk (2010-08-22 11:31:25)

#2 2010-08-22 14:13:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: padsp - SNDDMA_Init soundcard doesn't support triggers or mmap

padsp emulates OSS via Pulseaudio, but some capabilities like mmap are not supported. You will not be able to use pulseaudio's emulation that way.

alsa-oss is another possibility, but AFAIK it does not support mmap as well. mmap is basically used when the app believes it has direct control of the soundcard. Not a good thing. Check if your app supports any other sound output, unless its unmaintained it should.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer