You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-12 19:13:42

anamesa

Menu font sizes in fluxbox & gnome

I'm using arch 0.5, with regular updates via pacman. In fluxbox every gtk 2.0 application [firebird, gaim etc] has a tiny menu font, but this same application, when opened in gnome, looks nice, that is its menu font has an appropriate size. How can I fix this? It's annoying because every font in gaim is rendered tiny and only through preferences it is possible to change the font size of the message windows, but not the size of the input font in the editor. So most of the time I can't see what I'm typing.  I've noticed the same font size change with slackware as well.

--
anamesa

#2 2003-10-12 21:38:48

zen_guerrilla

Re: Menu font sizes in fluxbox & gnome

Create ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with your favorite editor, and put the following stuff inside :

style "user-font"
{
  font_name="Arial 13"
}
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

Change Arial to your font of choice and 13 with the size.

#3 2003-10-12 22:49:20

anamesa

Works fine and as expected (by you).
Thanks a lot.

#4 2003-10-13 08:17:07

anamesa

OK, let's be more precise.  This method works for gaim and other gtk2 apps, but it didn't work for firebird.  Here the menus keep being tiny in fluxbox. I've searched for an option regarding fonts' size via "about:config" in addressbar of firebird, but either there is none [regarding menu] or I was blind for it.

And then, the preferred font appears rather large in gnome, that is every time I switch over to gnome, I have to edit the ~/.gtkrc-2.0, decreasing the font size. Then, when switching over to fluxbox again, I have to increase the font size to it's previous value. But not everything can be perfect, so let it be so.

#5 2003-10-13 12:04:27

zen_guerrilla

For firebird, create ~/.phoenix/default/SOMETHING/chrome/userChrome.css and put inside :

/* Make all the default font sizes 12 pt: */
* {
  font-size: 12pt !important
}

Change 12 to your font of choice.

I don't run gnome2/fluxbox on AL (only xfce4 now), but I use that combination on debian sid on my box at work & it works fine with ~/.gtkrc-2.0, so maybe it's not the one causing the trouble. Check for other gnome settings and make sure you haven't set dpi to 96 anywhere.

#6 2003-10-13 21:33:57

anamesa

Now everything is as it should be. Thanks a lot.  Everything was in this file (~/.phoenix/default/tknpdekt.slt/chrome/userChrome-example.css), which I should have read in the first place.  Now the fonts look very nice it's a charm.  It's a pity I'll have to try to unistall gnome and try to reinstall 2.4, because upgrading from 2.2 --> 2.4 has broken my gnome desktop, so I won't be able to enjoy everything right now.

#7 2003-10-13 22:14:20

zen_guerrilla

Also, adding these lines in ~/.xinitrc improves fonts IMHO:

xrdb -merge - << EOF
Xft.hinting: 0
EOF

#8 2003-10-14 13:12:29

anamesa

I suppose, the second line (Xft.hinting: 0) disables font hinting. Does the whole code disable font hinting?  If so, I'd rather not use it, since my only machine is a rather good modern laptop, with LCD, and there most fonts look better to my taste when lightly hinted.  There are exceptions of course, but on the average I prefer hinting for this kind of screen.  I cannot tell how the fonts look when hinted on an ordinary CRT display. I may try the code though, to observe the differences more closely. Thanks anyway.

Board footer