You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-12 20:42:48

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

AUR comments & things

I have some "discussion topics" that I don't think would fit in the AUR flyspray, so I'm going to post them here... who knows if word will get out or whatever... maybe I'll just throw a link in the bug tracker... *shrug*

Anyway:
* What happens when a certain package sucks?
i.e. joe_schmoe uploaded some-package-1.1-1, yet anyone can tell he screwed it up royally - it should have had a "conflicts" package, some-package is already up to version 2.3, and it should have had a post_remove function.  What if I want get rid of his crappy package and replace it with a better one?

* What happens when the original uploader just doesn't care? can anyone upload a new version of the package?

#2 2005-04-13 07:02:51

sweiss

Re: AUR comments & things

Speaking of which, I was wondering if a user is able to edit his own uploads. I uploaded a package yesterday and forgot to pick the right catagory for it.

#3 2005-04-13 18:01:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I don't understand the difference between uploading a package and "accessing the repo" via CVS. Could this be explained to me?  Is the CVS version for TUs only?

Also, what are the definitions of community and unsupported repositories; what's the difference, etc?

Finally, does AUR now contain ALL packages that were originally in the TURs, and therefore I can remove TUR repositories from my pacman.conf and add community and unsupported in their place?

Dusty

#4 2005-04-13 18:30:47

tgc

Another question: How do I get the packages/PGKBUILD uploaded to AUR? Some of the packages are build in the "community" respo, but what about the ones in "unsupported"?
Also can I get ABS to fetch them?

#5 2005-04-13 18:34:10

tgc

Dusty wrote:

I don't understand the difference between uploading a package and "accessing the repo" via CVS. Could this be explained to me?  Is the CVS version for TUs only?

As I understand it only TUs can use CVS, and the rest of us can only commit packages using the webinterface.

Dusty wrote:

Finally, does AUR now contain ALL packages that were originally in the TURs, and therefore I can remove TUR repositories from my pacman.conf and add community and unsupported in their place?

Eventually, yes. Take a look at the TUR-mailinglist archive for more info.

#6 2005-04-13 19:21:14

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

The good Xentac answered all these questions in a string of jabber comments to me. I'm not certain WHY he posted it to me instead of here, but I'm publishing it below:

Xentac wrote:

(13:10:46) Xentac: packages are owned by whoever uploads them
(13:10:46) Xentac: if Alice uploads package x and it sucks
(13:10:46) Xentac: Bob can leave a comment saying, "this package sucks, it needs this, this, and this"
(13:10:46) Xentac: anyone who wants to use the package will see the comment
(13:10:47) Xentac: (BTW, this is all on the Unsupported side, the AUR repo has the CVS and an actual pacman repo behind it)
(13:10:47) Xentac: if someone else wants to modify it they have a couple of options
(13:10:47) Xentac: upload a version with a different name x-phrakture or x-nosuck
(13:10:47) Xentac: get the original uploader to fix it by leaving comments and/or emailing them
(13:10:47) Xentac: or get a TU to delete the package so they can upload a better one
(13:10:47) Xentac: to answer sweiss, the original uploader has total control of their package
(13:10:47) Xentac: they just upload over it
(13:10:47) Xentac: sorry, they have total control over it until a TU adopts it
(13:10:47) Xentac: then it's the TU's, not the original contributors
(13:10:47) Xentac: and you can tell them that they can ask these questions on the tur-users list
(13:10:47) Xentac: that's where we all hang out
(13:10:47) Xentac: or something
(13:10:47) Xentac: to better answer your AUR/Unsupported question, AUR is replacing TUR
(13:10:47) Xentac: Unsupported in replacing incoming
(13:10:47) Xentac: so Unsupported isn't a pacman repo
(13:10:47) Xentac: it's just a better interface to a bunch of PKGBUILDs and extra files

I think we've all been answered.  Also, screw the forum, the AUR gods hang out on the tur mailing list.  8)

Dusty

Board footer