You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-09 14:19:30

kosmiciatakuja

sup mail client and html mail - run-mailcap script now in aur

Hi,

For the users of sup mail client. Standard sup installation requires a script called run-mailcap to open html (and other mime) attachments. I couldn't find this script in any arch repos so I made a package for aur. This package downloads a deb file from ubuntu repositories and extracts just this one script (run-mailcap). This should make life a bit easier for early sup users.

Unfortunately the package requires deb2targz since I don't know how to extract just one file from a deb without this script. If this can be done in a better way, please let me know. For now deb2targz is just a makedep, you can remove it after installation.

Enjoy

#2 2010-03-09 15:56:49

anrxc
Website

Re: sup mail client and html mail - run-mailcap script now in aur

run-mailcap is a part of mime-support http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26661

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#3 2010-03-10 10:01:17

kosmiciatakuja

Okay, my bad. But to my defense, I searched for for run-mailcap with pkgfile and it listed nothing (wonder why, it worked well for me so far...). I'll request for deleting of my package on the discussion list.
Thanks for noticing!

#4 2010-04-09 13:52:26

ruario
Website

kosmiciatakuja wrote:

Unfortunately the package requires deb2targz since I don't know how to extract just one file from a deb without this script. If this can be done in a better way, please let me know. For now deb2targz is just a makedep, you can remove it after installation.

For future reference, bsdtar can break open .deb files (and .rpm files for that matter) and bsdtar will be found on every Arch system since it is part of the libarchive package and pacman itself depends on libarchive. I use bsdtar in this way in the opera-devel PKGBUILD. I added libarchive to my makedepends, though arguably this isn't really needed unless pacman is likely to stop depending on libarchive any time soon.

With this in mind I do wonder why people install tools like deb2targz or rpm2cpio on Arch when it is already possible to pull apart these files with a pre-installed tool. Perhaps people are just unaware of this?

P.S. Even without bsdtar, .deb files are just 'ar' archives with three files inside: debian-binary (which states the deb format version number), control.tar.gz (packaging meta-information) and data.tar (the actual installable files, optionally compressed with gzip, bzip2 or lzma). As such you can alternatively use the 'ar' command to extract data.tar and then get the raw files by extracting from that with (GNU) tar in turn. It is worth noting that 'ar' is included as part of the GNU binutils package, so pretty much guaranteed to be present on any system that is used for repackaging.

#5 2010-08-24 18:26:42

PUE

Ubuntu has to provide the sources, same as any other distro, so I suggest you use the source tarball instead:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/maverick/mime-support

Board footer