You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-07 14:37:59

OrangeRoot1000
Website

GPT devices

From what I can gather since I have 2 boxen that the primary drive is an ssd is that they are GPT block devices. As such they do NOT map a MBR in the normal sense like hdd platters. The make an GPT layout of the drive and its partitions.

I had the wonderful opportunity to reinstall my eee because after using gdisk I found out my first partition was incorrectly mapped to the ssd and by so many bytes overwrote the MBR area. So that partition either had to be resized to the proper setors or destroyed and re-created. The only thing is gdisk if you convert to GPT style of mapping destroys the current MBR and all partitions. But it maps out the drive properly. Fdisk, cfdisk are NOT compatible with GPT layouts. The only current partitioner is GNU Parted that recognizes proper GPT mapping.

So the time is upon us and will only grow that GPT block devices will be a norm. Arch's installer is not ready to handle it because it doesn't use the proper tools to handle the GPT mappings. This is not a kernel issue like Topia thought with his special hybrid iso.

So far the Arch installers have a) generated a GPT block error and would refuse to install at all, OR  b) install but create the wrong geometry vs the GPT one.

This isn't really a bug perse, but it is a change in technology that is critical to the stability of Archers that use ssd's.

#2 2010-08-07 16:52:19

skodabenz
Banned

Re: GPT devices

I used Archboot (ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/iso/archboot/index.html) to install Archlinux x86_64 to Pure GPT setup with grub2. Archlinux official installer does not support gpt or grub2 (without net). Go to http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GUI … tion_Table for moreinfo.

The problem with ssd's is not due to GPT but due to Physical Sector Size of the SSD. Only gdisk or Parted 2.3 handle those kind of devices correctly.  The same applies for Archers using Western Digital's Advanced Format HDD (4098 byte sector size)/

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#3 2010-08-24 20:11:09

OrangeRoot1000
Website

Re: GPT devices

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 29#p814729

So a user doesn't have to jump through a lot of extra hoops to prepare their GPT drives. tpowa has his hybrid iso and it has fixed all the issues that the current "official" Arch installer has not addressed yet.

I would direct them there and too that ISO.

Last edited by OrangeRoot1000 (2010-08-24 20:11:32)

Board footer