You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-23 20:20:32

sergi34

kmymoney legacy disapeared

Hi,

I've updated my system usual way "yaourt -Syu" without looking too much at the process, and now today I realised that kmymoney has been replaced from 1.0.5 using KDE 3.5 libraries to the new KDE 4 package.

This is a very problem for me.
- The first one is I use an encrypted GPG file and I haven't managed to recover it on the KMyMoney from KDE 4.
- The second problem is that with the new KMyMoney it lasts about 20 or 25 seconds to start (or even more) compared with 4 or 5 seconds maximum to start KMyMoney with KDE 3.5 libraries.

so it's obviusly worse for me the upgrade.

Another problem is that instaling KMyMoney with KDE 4 libraries causes a 27 package install with a lot of kde4libs, kde4pim, kde4base and a lot of KDE4 stuff that I don't need at all. I use QT4 applications but none KDE4 apps.

I think it would be better to create 2 separated packages because if you look at KMyMoney home page, they continue to release both version of the program. KMymoney 1.0.5 (KDE 3 libs) and KMyMoney 4 (KDE 4 libs). They have not discontinue releasing the KDE3 libs version of the app.

Finally I have managed to recover the legacy Kmymoney just doing "pacman -U <Kmymoney-1.0.5_from_pacman_cache>", but of course this is not the solution.

I suppose one solution could be to create an AUR package for KDE3 Kmymoney version, but of course I will prefer just to stay with 2 different versions of the app (as on the main kmymoney page) in the official repositories.

thanks in advance,

Sergi

P.D: as you can imagine, I switched to Gnome from KDE the day I tested KDE 4.0, and never come back. I just like the still alive KDE 3.5 applications because of simplicity and speed compared to KDE 4

#2 2010-08-24 09:55:35

HeiKu

Re: kmymoney legacy disapeared

The KDE3 version is effectively frozen. If you notice, we didn't release a KDE3 version this time, and I don't know if we ever will. Perhaps some big crash will force us to release a fix, but as it stands, the KDE3 version hasn't had a commit in the last 3 months.

If you don't like KDE4, I suggest you go downgrade to the old package, and add it to the ignore list. Make a backup of the package, because that's most likely the last one you'll see for KDE3.

I'm sorry you don't like the new version, but that is the way going forward and it won't change.

BTW, I'm a KMyMoney developer, not an Arch packager.

#3 2010-08-24 10:08:19

sergi34

Thanks for your answer HeiKu.

I like KMyMoney and I know things have to go forward. I don't like KDE4 but it's not without a reason. It's just extremely more slow and resource consuming than KDE3, no matter what KDE4 application. Anyone of them and KMyMoney is not an exception.
Another exemple would be Amarok for KDE4, unusable until there was a fork using only QT4 and not the KDE4 libraries Clementine, a perfect application for music. But this is not the theme of the original question.

I suppose I had to go to KMyMoney 4.5, but anyway I need first to solve why it's not working properly reading the encrypted file. So if you are a KMyMoney developer, can I ask you about this?

My problem is the file I used with 1.0.5 version was GPG encrypted. Now I try to open with KDE4 version and says passphrase is wrong or something like this, but it doesn't ask me the passphrase at all.

Any ideas? GPG keys and so is on standard place ~/.gnupg on home

thanks in advance.

Sergi

#4 2010-08-24 15:00:05

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

sergi34, if you want to discuss specific issues regarding KMyMoney, please use their bugtracker instead of the forums: http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/index-devel.html

Thanks for you reply here HeiKu. smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2010-08-25 01:56:47

Gumper

If I recall correctly I had the same issue when trying to open my kmymoney file with the new Kde4 version. I think the following is what I had to do to fix the issue.

Create the file ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf and enter the following in this file:

pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry
  no-grab
  default-cache-ttl 1800

The "1800" above means that the entered password will be active for 1800 seconds. After 1800 seconds you will have to reenter the password. You can change this if you like.
You must enable the "use agent" option in the file ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf.

I also had to place the following in my Openbox autostart.sh file:

envfile="${HOME}/.gpginfo"
if test -f ${envfile} && kill -0 $(cut -d: -f 2 ${envfile} | head -n 1) 2>/dev/null; then
   eval $(cat ${envfile})
else
  eval `/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support --write-env-file ${envfile}`
fi
export GPG_AGENT_INFO
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
export SSH_AGENT_PID

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Gumper (2010-08-25 02:32:54)

Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
Ready yourselves, ready yourselves
May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise .... Casting Crowns-Until The Whole World Hears.

Board footer