You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-14 22:00:52

cyberius

No Sound in flashplugin!

Hello,

there are other threads, right, but none of them solved my problem.

There is no sound in flash (e.g. youtube..). System sound works (music..)
The strange thing is that after trying many things one time it WORKED!
I was happy and watched some flash movies on youtube.
After a reboot it didn't work again and I don't know why..

I have

[ ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [CK804          ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
                      NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at irq 22
 1 [HDMI           ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
                      HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfddfc000 irq 28

and CK804 is my onboard soundcard, it's set as default.

I have installed

local/firefox 3.6.3-1
local/flashplugin 10.0.45.2-1

I do not use the newest flashplugin 10.1 yet, because there isnt any for arch64..

This is my alsa setting
helpp.jpg

Can you help me? Do you need more system information?

#2 2010-06-15 19:12:43

cyberius

Re: No Sound in flashplugin!

-.-

I installed flashplugin 10.1 from aur with nspluginwrapper, after installation (i had to install this lib32 oss package too) SOUND WORKED.

after reboot: again not working!

what the * is just wrong sad

speaker test suddenly also doesnt work

speaker-test -D surround51 -c 5 -t wav

speaker-test 1.0.23

Playback device is surround51
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 5 channels
WAV file(s)
Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory

Last edited by cyberius (2010-06-15 19:13:15)

#3 2010-06-15 19:30:44

ewaller
Administrator

Something is grabbing your sound card and is not sharing it.   I have had the best luck with Pulseaudio, either with or without Jack [try it without first]. 

Can you provide more information about your system? Are you using XFCE4, Gnome, KDE? Other?

Under KDE I have had much better luck using Phonon with the Xine backend rather than the Gstreamer backend.  Set Phonon to talk to Pulseaudio rather than an actual device, set Pulseaudio up to talk to the sound device, and you should be good to go.

Your intermittent success is because only one thing can talk to the hardware at a time.  Only when something has timed out and relinquished control of the hardware does your Flash work.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2010-06-15 19:41:22

cyberius

Thank you.

hm this time somehow installing pulseaudio and then after reboot
pulseaudio --start

Sound works!

But on wikipedia I read that ALSA can handle multiple audio?
Why do I need pulseaudio?
Is this maybe because flash uses only OSS and OSS can't mix multiple audio?

(I use only Compiz-Fusion as WM and have arch64)

---
edit: Yes I noticed when I run firefox now i cant use any other audio player.
But as I said, shouldn't ALSA handle multiple audio sources?

Note: For ALSA 1.0.9rc2 and higher you don't need to setup dmix. Dmix is enabled as default for soundcards which don't support hardware mixing

I just wonder why I am the only one with this problem. Did I install my audio stuff somehow wrong? Maybe I should remove everything about alsa, oss and pulse and reinstall everything again..

Last edited by cyberius (2010-06-15 20:45:54)

#5 2010-06-15 23:27:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Dmix by default doesn't necessarily work, just set it up if you need it.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-06-16 01:43:39

Wesman26

I've always used pulseaudio and I have it set up as per the wiki instructions for alsa and oss and everything else and I still don't get sound out of youtube.  Suggestions?

#7 2010-07-13 17:33:37

enedene
Website

I have an interesting problem. 64 bit Archlinux, pulseaudio I have a sound when using flash@Firefox but I don't have sound in Chromium, the picture is fine in both.

EDIT: OK, it has nothing to do with firefox vs chrome, flash sound isn't working if any other sound application is working. For example banshee and flash, but banshee works fine with other applications vlc for example.
Also when running other sound applications I can see them in sound preferences in application bar, but I can't see browser when using flash it's like plugin is not using pulse audio.

Last edited by enedene (2010-07-13 18:18:28)

#8 2010-07-13 19:47:54

karol
Archivist

> it has nothing to do with firefox vs chrome, flash sound isn't working if any other sound application is working.
Please, read the wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … Play_Sound
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fla … d_playback

#9 2010-07-13 21:17:26

enedene
Website

karol wrote:

> it has nothing to do with firefox vs chrome, flash sound isn't working if any other sound application is working.
Please, read the wiki
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/All … Play_Sound
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fla … d_playback

Thank you. Unfortunately adding !snd_pcm_oss to modules didn't work.
from my /etc/rc.conf file:

MODULES=(fuse usblp !snd_pcm_oss)

Still I can have vlc, banshee and totem opened at once and they all play sound but flash (sound) doesn't work if any of other sound using programs are working the opposite is also true.
I was thinking that maybe some other oss module also needs to be disabled, I've found !snd_seq_oss module running and tried to disabled it but it made no difference.

#10 2010-07-13 21:31:48

karol
Archivist

I'd say that that's one of many problems w/ flash.
I use flashplugin for firefox and mplayer (both alsa and oss work) and I can listen to both at the same time.

Edit: I'm on 32-bit.

Do you have ala in your DAEMONS? I'm really not an audio guru, so I don't think I can help.

Last edited by karol (2010-07-13 21:34:15)

#11 2010-07-13 21:35:42

brebs

Flash is very particular about buffer_size it seems, based on my own testing. Please try improved dmix.

#12 2010-07-14 13:52:49

enedene
Website

I removed the pulse audio, everything works fine now .

#13 2010-08-25 11:45:13

eppo

Hi everyone,
I just started with Arch and like it very much! Everything worked (as opposed to certain other distros), but after I got spotify to work in wine, youtube videos don't give sound anymore sad. In a post a bit up ewaller mentioned that "something is grabbing the soundcard and not sharing it". Could this be wine? Spotify works well and vlc also plays videos and sound tracks without a problem. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

#14 2010-08-25 16:25:55

ewaller
Administrator

I tried wine on the way out the door this morning.  Wine did not play nicely with MPD.  Whichever one started first got to play the sound.  I looked at wincfg, and I had a choice of OSS and ALSA drivers.  For some reason it was set to OSS.  I think ALSA might be the better choice.  I really don't use Wine for much, and generally nothing with sound.

I think the answer to your question -- yes Wine is capturing and not sharing the sound system.  It was not clear from your post -- Is Wine running whilst you are trying to use flash?

By the way, A new forum thread might have been appropriate.  This thread was almost old enough such that reviving it could have riled those watching the forums for the rise of zombies :-)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#15 2010-08-25 16:46:19

XFire

I had this problem after the MPD update.

I resolved it by going into MPD's configuration file and commenting out the audio part. If you're using ALSA, it defaults to that, it should work.

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

Board footer