You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-16 18:52:45

Marenz

multilib repository: Feedback & Notification Thread

This thread is for request and feedback about my multilib repository. I am subscribed to it and I will get an email which I also check on a regular basis.

Right now I can't do any updates because my 64bit hardware is not available. This will most likely change in about two weeks.

If anyone wants to help me maintaining this, please step forward. I can also grant you access to the git repository with the PKGBUILD's that I used.

[Edit]

As there is a new project which obsoleted mine, I will shut down my mirror & git soon. The link above no longer points to my repository, so please direct requests now at the appropriate people.

--Marenz

Last edited by Marenz (2010-08-23 13:42:45)

#2 2010-08-23 06:48:09

skodabenz
Banned

Re: multilib repository: Feedback & Notification Thread

Official multilib support is coming - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multilib_Project

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#3 2010-08-23 07:00:43

wonder
Developer
Website

just to let you know, that repo would hit official mirrors soon enough and shouldn't be thread as an unknown repo tongue.

suggestions and feature requests would be done on the arch-multilib mailing list once it would be created

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2010-08-23 08:52:39

Marenz

Okay, I'll take my repos & git offline then, if it is no longer needed? (as you apparently even try to hijack this thread wink )

--Marenz

Last edited by Marenz (2010-08-23 08:53:37)

#5 2010-08-23 09:02:09

wonder
Developer
Website

Marenz wrote:

Okay, I'll take my repos & git offline then, if it is no longer needed? (as you apparently even try to hijack this thread wink )

--Marenz

i didn't tried to hijack anything because at the time i've read the text from your link location is pointing to our temporally repository. It doesn't point to any git/repos owned by you

#6 2010-08-23 13:32:51

Marenz

Actually it does. Look at the bottom, it says:

The sources for this repository are also available at git://supraverse.net/multilib.git

wink

--Marenz

#7 2010-08-23 13:43:31

skodabenz
Banned

Marenz wrote:

--Marenz

I would be that hijacker! "wonder" (or any TU for that matter) had nothing to do with this. I thought based on this thread's topic, that this is for discussion regarding the "new" multilib repo. I thought you were one of those guys listed at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multilib_Project . I edited that wiki page to link to this thread and modified http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch64_FAQ to show the "new" temporary repo. Sorry for the mistake. If you want I will remove the link to this thread in the wiki page.

By the way

[keshav_pr@keshav-laptop Desktop]$ git clone git://supraverse.net/multilib.git multilib
Cloning into multilib...
fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly

Last edited by skodabenz (2010-08-23 13:44:58)

#8 2010-08-23 13:50:15

Marenz

Oh I don't mind, it just created some confusion wink.

I can fit the text accordingly (Tell me what text you want in the first topic then) or you can create a new thread, what ever you prefer.

And with "you" I meant not specifically "wonder" but just the people of the new project smile

I am curious though, why did no one talk to me about this, as I provided the first working multilib gcc  for arch. It could have been reused. Or maybe you did reuse it, no idea.

[Edit]
You might should edit the wiki instructions accordingly. Currently they still reflect the workarounds for some minor issues with my repos.

--Marenz

Last edited by Marenz (2010-08-23 13:53:22)

#9 2010-08-23 13:53:51

skodabenz
Banned

I do not know anything related to your PKGBUILDs (and I am not a TU). But I used your gcc-multilib to compile grub2-bzr and grub2-efi-x86 in my Arch64. In between though, I briefly used cross32-gcc from community. Currently I am using the gcc-multilib from the temp repo.

May be you should also join those guys working on Multilib Project. Anyway thanks for your packages. They were very useful. You can probably use "Supraverse multilib repo" to avoid confusing with the upcoming official multilib repo.

Last edited by skodabenz (2010-08-23 13:58:55)

#10 2010-08-23 14:30:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

'Those guys working on the multilib project' are basically interested TUs and devs. Please check out [arch-dev-public], discussion on this project is ongoing currently.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#11 2010-08-23 18:52:13

wantilles

IMHO amd64 archers, we do not need at all multilib.

It breaks KISS, it consumes a lot of human hours/resources.

And most of all, it is completely USELESS.

#12 2010-08-23 19:00:55

Marenz

/me hugs wantilles

#13 2010-08-23 19:05:22

wonder
Developer
Website

wantilles wrote:

don't be worried about that. is not enable by default at for x86_64 users. it would be a separate repo and if you want you can enable it.

even more, x86_64 would be purely native and all lib32 stuff deleted from community

#14 2010-08-23 21:17:47

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

wantilles wrote:

Obviously you have no need of skype or wine. Having an opinion is fine, but its a bit overboard to claim that its useless.

As wonder said, this move would actually allow [core], [extra], and [community] to be 64-bit only. Well, except for grub....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#15 2010-08-23 22:32:44

wantilles

ngoonee wrote:

Obviously you have no need of skype.

I value very much my personal data, and my privacy.

For the same reason I never use any software developed by Google, Sony, Apple, and never any closed-source web browser or mail-client.

ngoonee wrote:

...or wine.

I have VirtualBox for that.

#16 2010-08-23 23:32:42

some-guy94

wantilles wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

For the same reason I never use any software developed by Google, Sony, Apple, and never any closed-source web browser or mail-client.

ngoonee wrote:

...or wine.

VirtualBox needs multilib.

#17 2010-08-24 01:31:07

wantilles

some-guy94 wrote:
wantilles wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

ngoonee wrote:

...or wine.

VirtualBox needs multilib.

Hmm, I don't think so. Check the PKGBUILDs:

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=9753
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31996

#18 2010-08-24 02:21:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

virtualbox-ose is the one that needs multilib.

You're free to not need the mentioned software, of course. Doesn't mean its useless.

#19 2010-08-24 03:56:56

sand_man

Not sure if I'd use it or not but I think it's a great idea. I'm all for choice and diversity.

neutral

#20 2010-08-25 09:18:48

jelly
Administrator

There is still an option to use a 32 bit chroot instead of multilib. It costs some more space but it's a bit saner

#21 2010-08-25 10:15:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Let's not make this thread a discussion on the value or otherwise of the multilib repo, or even the possible alternatives. This thread is for discussing the repository which does exist, and giving feedback on problems etc. (don't forget to regularly thank the contributors, as well smile ).

#22 2010-08-25 18:03:05

mangus

so, I enabled the multilib repo and let pacman do the job replacing the toolchain stuff , then upgrade the rest from the multilib repo , I ran ldconfig just in case and:

┌─[mangus@tao64][19:57]
└─[~]-> skype
skype-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

the skype package is bin32-skype http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=7914

Im not that multilib expert , what I'm missing?Do I have to recompile something for aur packages?
thanks

#23 2010-08-25 18:05:33

Marenz

sounds like you are missing lib32-ssl   or lib32-libssl or however it is called

--Marenz

#24 2010-08-25 18:10:44

mangus

Marenz wrote:

sounds like you are missing lib32-ssl   or lib32-libssl or however it is called

--Marenz

I have installed lib32-openssl 1.0.0.a-4 from multilib repo

edit: and in the meantime version 1.0.0.a-5 of  lib32-openssl solved the issue
thanks for the quick response and for the super superquick fix to the dev! big_smile

Last edited by mangus (2010-08-25 18:12:37)

#25 2010-08-26 11:56:18

fincan

I want to leave why there is multilib repository. are packages inside multilib different from others? For examlpe, differences wine-multilib from the current 1? Why should I use multilib?
U say u move all 32bit packages to multilib and will current installed 32 packages be updated automatically from multilib or we'll have to do it manuall?, so on... smile

Board footer