You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-25 21:23:22

siwelnor

wireless card drops connection.

Hi all,
I just bought a new laptop with a rtl8192se wireless card. 
After much searching I found the firmware in the AUR and now
the thing kind of works. 

I can find the home network using iwlist, I can connect some of the time with dhcpcd.
However when it does connect, if I ping google.com i'll only receive back the first packet and all others are lost.
Its almost like it connects very weekly.  Also the connection dies after a minute or so.

Wicd will not find any wireless networks at all.  It is not the network itself because all other computers are connected to it just fine.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated , I'm at my wits end.

#2 2010-08-25 22:23:32

lamdacore

Re: wireless card drops connection.

I was experiencing something very similar on my home network very recently... Turned out, I had forgotten to change the time on my laptop (it was on the wrong time zone). Have a look.

#3 2010-08-26 05:32:17

siwelnor

My timezone was wrong, but fixing it didn't fix the problem.  Thanks for the quick reply and idea though smile

#4 2010-08-26 18:13:06

Doehni

Are there more than one wireless network in your area? If so, check if your router has a channel for itself (my router has an automtic channel finder in the config section...). Had that problem for quite a time and figured it out just last week...

#5 2010-08-27 02:49:02

siwelnor

There was only one network that any computer in the house could pick up.
I have another laptop running on arch with an intel card that works like a dream.

Back at college now and the dorm does not have a wireless network.  Will check and see if it works this weekend
in the library.

Thanks for the ideas folks.

Board footer