You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-28 01:53:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[solved] Interpreting gdb errors for bin32 application

Hi all,

I have a 32-bit app which I've happily run till about 2 weeks back on 64-bit Arch, called OpenSong. Its open source but uses RealBasic to compile cross-architecture, and realbasic doesn't support 64-bit on Linux.

Anyway, I started getting segfaults after moving to the new [multilib] architecture. A quick gdb shows that the problem comes from /usr/lib32/libz.so.1

Starting program: /opt/OpenSong/opensong 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]

(opensong:28357): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

(opensong:28357): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "crux-engine",
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": libgnomebreakpad.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[OpenSong] -------------------- Begin Run ----------------------
[OpenSong] 2010-08-28 09:45:56
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/style_preview
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/tempo_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/theme_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/time_sig_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/transition_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/imagequality_list
[New Thread 0xf2bb2b70 (LWP 28360)]
[New Thread 0xf23b1b70 (LWP 28361)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xf7331163 in inflate_table () from /usr/lib32/libz.so.1
(gdb) run
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y
Starting program: /opt/OpenSong/opensong 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]

(opensong:29589): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

(opensong:29589): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "crux-engine",
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad": libgnomebreakpad.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[OpenSong] -------------------- Begin Run ----------------------
[OpenSong] 2010-08-28 09:47:35
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/style_preview
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/tempo_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/theme_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/time_sig_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/transition_list
[OpenSong] Translator.GetNode: language/imagequality_list
[New Thread 0xf2bb2b70 (LWP 29606)]
[New Thread 0xf23b1b70 (LWP 29607)]

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xf7331163 in inflate_table () from /usr/lib32/libz.so.1

When I first made this package, namcap indicated I had dependencies on lib32-gtk, and it worked till now. I'm quite stumped as to how to proceed, I tried symlinking /usr/lib32 to /opt/lib32/usr/lib (obviously doesn't work). I'd like to try preloading, but I don't think it'll help since it DOES reach /usr/lib32/libz after all.

Ideas please?

Oh, and the program itself contains a single executable and 7 dynamic libraries, all of them in /opt/OpenSong (taken directly from the .deb file they provide).

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-08-28 05:35:31)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-08-28 02:29:12

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] Interpreting gdb errors for bin32 application

Update - downgrading lib32-zlib means it works! I think something is wrong with lib32-zlib. I'll try rebuilding it to see if it solves the problem.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-08-28 05:35:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [solved] Interpreting gdb errors for bin32 application

Hmm, some more experimentation shows that excluding -march=x86_64 from makepkg.conf prevents the segfault. I wonder whether any other apps are affected. Will bring this up on the ML.

EDIT: Ah, a bit more experimentation shows that the problem was -O2 and -O3, not -march=x86_64. On to the bugtracker, the ML isn't required now.

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-08-28 05:45:19)

Board footer