You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-13 15:12:31

sudman1

ABS... Sudstyle

I've created a java application to ease my own use of ABS. Essentially, it's a GUI wrapper for all the commands needed for simpler Arch builds. Although it's a GUI, it doesn't hide any steps from the user and I beleive it fits with the Arch Philosophy.

I would welcome the community's opinion of my implementation and presentation of the application. The JAR File can be found at http://sudstyle.freecoolsite.com/ssabsgui.jar and can be run with:

java -jar ssabsgui.jar

v/r
Suds

#2 2005-04-13 17:07:14

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: ABS... Sudstyle

screenshots! we want screenshots! (he he, I'm at work so I can't test)

#3 2005-04-13 17:41:01

sudman1

Okay phrak, here's a couple of screenshots:

http://sudstyle.freecoolsite.com/screenshots.html

EDIT: Broken links to screenshots fixed!

v/r
Suds

#4 2005-04-13 17:56:33

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

screenshots = broken links. I guess I'll have to download it...

Java app, I'm happy!!!

#5 2005-04-13 18:24:56

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

what about other options for makepkg? Like -ci to clean workfiles and install the package after the build. genysnc, makeworld, etc. Just a thought.

It would be really be nice to have a script or program to automatically execute after an abs update that would allow you to choose to build packages if desired.  I haven't really given much thought into it though....

#6 2005-04-13 18:46:36

sudman1

Penguin wrote:

what about other options for makepkg? Like -ci to clean workfiles and install the package after the build. genysnc, makeworld, etc. Just a thought..

pacman -U upgrades/installs the package. I've only used ABS sparingly, so I've never delt with the -c function.  There's obviously a lot more that can be done with it - maybe a text field for additional switches on makepkg/pacman? and a text area for additional free-form commands?

v/r
Suds

#7 2005-04-13 18:59:19

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I've built several packages lately that are optimized for my comp and appending the -i to the package will upgrade or install the package without problems.
You may find reading the man pages on makeworld, gensync and makepkg to be very useful for building package with abs. Especially so for people who like to build their own packages like myself.
I would find your program very usefull if it incorporated these utilities in it. I would even offer to help, but I haven't learned java yet.:cry:

#8 2005-04-13 20:01:11

sudman1

Penguin wrote:

I would find your program very usefull if it incorporated these utilities in it. I would even offer to help, but I haven't learned java yet.:cry:

Well, if you're wanting to help, I can write the code fairly easily.  The hard part for me is designing a clean interface for all those options.  If you are interested in modifying my screenshots to show a good layout for components, I'm in.

v/r
Suds

#9 2005-04-13 21:19:57

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Well in addtition to what you already have, I would just make some buttons for makeworld and gensync that would go to a different screen.

In makeworld, I would have it ask the user which tree to build and list all the common options (c,f,i,b) with a default to makeworld -c. After the build it would be nice to compare the folders with the built and verify a successful build of the entire tree (obviously it couldn't always work with the -b option if there are more subdirectories within the current that brings some 'orphan' packages not native to the tree)

Gensync maybe a pain. I would have it ask the user where to create a directory for each tree that would store the package, which then would make the dir and the <dir>db.tar.gz. in it.  Have it ask the user for which tree to compare the md5sums to the destined directory with the packages in it. Sync /etc/pacman.conf with the new location for the newly created directory. Refresh pacman with pacman -Sy.

To gensync all packages in /var/abs everything would be the same but it should back-up the existing /var/cache/pacman/pkg (because they are arch packages with different md5sums) and create a new. I would also have it comment out the arch mirrors in /etc/pacman.conf(to not conflict with existing packages). This all would have to be done before a pacman refresh......This entire package rebuild option probably would not be worth doing, as most people probably would not rely exclusively on building their own packages instead of using the arch repo. Entire trees would have to be done at a time and it would eat up tons of hd space. But with all the space I have, I for one would smile

Like I said, you would really have to read the man pages to understand what the hell I was talking about. And the actual design its self would probably be easier for you to do. Im just offering some basic structure ideas.

#10 2005-04-13 21:26:49

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Oh and makepkg and makworld have virtually identical options if that helps with what you have already

#11 2005-04-13 21:44:56

sudman1

Penguin,  thank you for your suggestions.  At the moment, I'm too unfamiliar with gensync and makeworld to really know what to do with all that. However, it may be a good follow-on project.

I'm still getting my feet wet with Arch and so far have only used ABS to make a few packages that I haven't found in the repos.I didn't realize how much was involved with those apps. For right now, I think I'll have to keep it simple so I don't overdose.  lol

v/r
Suds

#12 2005-04-13 22:35:33

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Understandable. Could you provide a link to your source code? Maybe I can stumble may way through it with the help of someone else who knows a little bit about java.

#13 2005-04-14 06:41:07

sudman1

The source is in the JAR file - you just unzip the file and read the .java files.

v/r
Suds

#14 2005-04-14 14:38:49

soniX

Nice going sudman1.
Cool to see that the arch forum gets more Java programmers

#15 2005-04-20 17:07:19

sudman1

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this out.  I haven't gotten any hard feedback except for penguin's feature requests wink

v/r
Suds

Board footer