You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-27 16:50:19

theguywholikeslinux

ugly notification icons in transparent panel

I have been trialling the internet for hours and try as I might I cant find a fix for the ugly notification icons I have in the notification area on my gnome panel: screenshot1ws.png

I have found loads of posts about this and a few rants as to why it hasn't been fixed, I have also seen fixes for single applications, like this one for pidgin:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=750633
However, I am not using pidgin and I have more than one application that is causing the problem.

The most promising thing I found was this thread on ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1427968&page=5
Post #48 seems to have a fix that works for all the icons in the notification area, however I got to step 7 and couldn't find any of the packages and I couldn't find the source code for step 8 so at that point I gave up.

Any ideas?

Last edited by theguywholikeslinux (2010-08-27 16:51:06)

theguywholikeslinux

#2 2010-08-27 17:50:20

Foucault

Re: ugly notification icons in transparent panel

I think the problem is caused by the method the application uses to draw its icon to the panel and not the notification area itself.

theguywholikeslinux wrote:

The most promising thing I found was this thread on ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1427968&page=5
Post #48 seems to have a fix that works for all the icons in the notification area, however I got to step 7 and couldn't find any of the packages and I couldn't find the source code for step 8 so at that point I gave up.

There are no -dev packages in Arch. Development headers are shipped by default. You only need libbonoboui2 (for example) to get what Debian calls libbonoboui2-dev as well. Anyway, if you want to recompile gnome-panel use the PKGBUILD from ABS (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS). However Arch already comes with gnome-panel 2.30.2 so I don't think this will help you anyway.

#3 2010-08-28 20:08:36

theguywholikeslinux

I have recompiled the source code as shown in the ubuntu forums thread, but unfortunately I didn't manage to make a PKGBUILD that did it for me. It seems to have fixed the banshee and wine problems, but skype is still buggy.

theguywholikeslinux

#4 2010-08-29 00:36:04

Foucault

It's recommended that you use the Arch Build System to recompile system packages so that you can avoid conflicts between regular tarballs and packages installed via pacman. Just in case you are interested in doing so, read ahead.

First install ABS (pacman -S abs). Then edit /etc/abs.conf and locate the REPOS line. Modify it so that it looks like

REPOS=(core extra community !testing !community-testing)

Also verify that the ARCH line reads the same as "uname -m" command. Then sync the abs tree by issuing the "abs" command as root. Create a directory wherever you like (let's say "~/abs") and copy over the gnome-panel folder from the abs tree.

cp -R /var/abs/extra/gnome-panel ~/abs

Enter the directory ~/abs/gnome-panel. Then download this patch I made out of the attachment over the ubuntu forums as "patch.diff" within the ~/abs/gnome-panel directory. Also replace the shipped PKGBUILD with my modified PKGBUILD (save this as PKGBUILD under the ~/abs/gnome-panel replacing the original one). Finally issue "makepkg -s" and abs will make a package for use that you can install using "pacman -U gnome-panel-2.30.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz" (it may be .tar.gz depending on your makepkg settings). Using this way is easier to track updates to gnome-panel via pacman.

Last edited by Foucault (2010-08-29 00:36:20)

Board footer