You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-15 00:01:53

Gullible Jones

What happened to GTK-Webcore?

Remember GTK-Webcore? Looked very promising when I saw it... But check out the download page. The version there right now is bloody ancient... And, judging from a look at the CVS repository, development is moving at a glacial pace. Yet no matter how much I google, I can't find anything about the cause of this apparent slowdown.

Now if only development proceeded faster... Webcore would be a nice alternative to the mass of bloat that GNOME 2.10 currently requires, and it's pretty secure too.

#2 2005-04-15 00:36:41

zeppelin
Website

Re: What happened to GTK-Webcore?

stop the FUD about GNOME 2.10 being bloat etc plz.
What in name of !Lord GNOME and an HTML render engine have in common?
The only engine I know is GtkHtml or sth like it. But we have moz's gecko as the defacto standard [in fact fox god GNOME support so almost everybody stopped using galeon, epiphany or FOO browser]. Konqueror's engine just sucks big time.
So I don't really know what happend to GTK-Webcore but I know the if you're looking for HTML stuff use Gecko if you're looking for minizing GTK or GNOME apps dependencies read a book about '!inventing the wheel'

Excuse my tone, but the 'bloat' triggered it all. XP is bloat but 98% of the people in the wolrd use it. WOW, what a bloat!

#3 2005-04-15 00:57:53

Gullible Jones

Dude, what's with the whole anger thing? :?

My problem, as it happens, is that GNOME 2.10 requires the Mozilla Suite. Yes, the switch to Firefox is being made... But Firefox still includes the XUL interface, which looks rather ugly and out-of-place in a GTK environment, takes up a fair bit of memory, etc. It's not a problem I can't deal with, but it's a bit annoying.

As for KHTML sucking, I haven't noticed it. I know it isn't as good at rendering various weird stuff as Gecko, but I've used Konqueror and found it quite satisfactory.

#4 2005-04-15 01:45:19

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Gullible Jones wrote:

Dude, what's with the whole anger thing? :?

My problem, as it happens, is that GNOME 2.10 requires the Mozilla Suite. Yes, the switch to Firefox is being made... But Firefox still includes the XUL interface, which looks rather ugly and out-of-place in a GTK environment, takes up a fair bit of memory, etc. It's not a problem I can't deal with, but it's a bit annoying.

As for KHTML sucking, I haven't noticed it. I know it isn't as good at rendering various weird stuff as Gecko, but I've used Konqueror and found it quite satisfactory.

Konqueror still has worse support for more advanced CSS and plenty of other things.

What you dont realise, is that if Gecko is stripped out of Gnome, then Gnome will be left without a capable HTML renderer. GTK-Webcore looks dead, and even if it's not -- its still experimental. gtkhtml has only absolutely basic html abilities and shouldnt even be considered.

Gecko is probably one of the best engines out there, along with Opera's engine.

As for your claims about firefox, firstly, it wont take any memory unless you use it. Secondly xul looks out of place in a gtk2 environment? bullshit.
http://iphitus.loudas.com/arch/ss/mozplugger.png
Take a look at the firefox in that screenshot, its suits the GTK2 environment on my system flawlessly. Finally, yes, firefox uses a bit of memory, but most browsers do. The web is becoming a complex place. Quite frankly, i think its worth it smile

Board footer