You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-10 23:25:07

nuopus

VMware 5 not working with Arch udev

Okay I am having an issue running VMware 5 in Arch using udev. I can get VMware to install and run in window mode, but the moment I go full screen I get an error stating that it cannot open tty0. On this computer I have the devfs=nomount added to grub.

On another computer I did not add devfs=nomount so I am using devfs instead of udev .. it works perfectly .. also in full screen.

I looked in the /dev directory on the system using devfs and found that tty0 is a link pointing to vc/0 so I thought that if I go to the udev system and just ln -s /dev/vc/0 /dev/tty0 it would work. It ends up going horribly wrong!

I have turned OFF udev on my first system and verified that it works when I mount devfs. Since udev will eventually replace devfs I would like to get it working with udev. Anyone have a clue? The udev rules file is default btw from a new install if you are wondering.

#2 2005-04-14 04:32:43

johnr

Re: VMware 5 not working with Arch udev

do you have a customized .rules file in /etc/udev/udev.rules/ ? You should have a line like this:

KERNEL="tty[0-9]*", NAME="vc/%n", SYMLINK="%k"

I have VMware 5 working using udev, and it will work in Full Screen Mode. Hope that helps.[/code]

#3 2005-04-15 07:26:34

nuopus

johnr wrote:

do you have a customized .rules file in /etc/udev/udev.rules/ ? You should have a line like this:

KERNEL="tty[0-9]*", NAME="vc/%n", SYMLINK="%k"

I have VMware 5 working using udev, and it will work in Full Screen Mode. Hope that helps.[/code]

That is wierd. I looked at my udev.rules file and had this:

[code]
# tty devices
SUBSYSTEM="tty",        GROUP="tty"
KERNEL="tty[0-9]*",    NAME="vc/%n"
KERNEL="ttyS[0-9]*",   NAME="tts/%n", SYMLINK="ttyS%n"
KERNEL="ttyUSB[0-9]*", NAME="tts/USB%n"
[/code]

All I did was add SYMLINK="tty%n" to the line and it worked fine. Funny thing is, this is the way it looks on all of my installed computers. Is it because I enabled testing?

#4 2005-04-15 11:07:18

johnr

Well at this point is it working in Full Screen Mode or not?
Either way I won't be much help... I'll I did was follow the wiki info. That is where I got the changes/additions for udev.rules.

If you have not read the wiki entry, I would do that now.
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/In … g%20Vmware

#5 2005-04-15 14:48:47

nuopus

johnr wrote:

Well at this point is it working in Full Screen Mode or not?
Either way I won't be much help... I'll I did was follow the wiki info. That is where I got the changes/additions for udev.rules.

If you have not read the wiki entry, I would do that now.
http://wiki2.archlinux.org/index.php/In … g%20Vmware

Well its working now .... I guess I should have read the wiki ... its right there. The only thing I didnt do was modify the TTY line in udev.

Board footer