You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-18 19:08:29

d_dave

nfs-server fails to start after upgrade

After the last upgrade, I got this error;

rpcbind: cannot get local address for udp: servname
not supported for ai_socktype

after googling around I read on the gentoo forum that they changed the name of /etc/services and that caused the error in gentoo.

Well it looks like something clobbered /etc/services because after restoring it and rebooting the error went away.

#2 2010-08-18 19:24:30

loafer

Re: nfs-server fails to start after upgrade

It's owned by iana-etc which was updated recently.  Do you mean your /etc/services was removed or renamed somehow, or a customised file was overwritten by a new one?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2010-08-18 20:36:57

falconindy
Developer
Website

/etc/services used to be provided by filesystem. The latest release of filesystem changed this, and /etc/services is now provided by iana-etc. The new /etc/services exposed an issue with rpcbind trying to open a port described by 'rpcbind' instead of the iana approved name of 'sunrpc'. You can either add rpcbind as an alias in the new /etc/services file, or just -Syu.

tl;dr: Make sure you're running rpcbind 0.2.0-2.

#4 2010-08-19 07:01:30

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

The package in [testing] was fixed after a bug report, it would be a bit strange if this was due to iana-etc.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2010-08-19 08:28:16

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

I have a similar problem:

[root@dieter-p4sci-arch ~]# /etc/rc.d/nfs-server start
:: Mounting nfsd filesystem                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   [DONE] 
:: Exporting all directories                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  [DONE] 
:: Starting rpc.nfsd daemon                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   [BUSY]
rpc.nfsd: unable to resolve ANYADDR:nfs to inet address: Servname not supported for ai_socktype
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           [FAIL]
[root@dieter-p4sci-arch ~]# /usr/sbin/rpc.nfsd -d 8
rpc.nfsd: Checking netconfig for visible protocols.
rpc.nfsd: Enabling inet udp.
rpc.nfsd: Enabling inet tcp.
rpc.nfsd: Enabling inet6 udp.
rpc.nfsd: Enabling inet6 tcp.
rpc.nfsd: knfsd is currently down
rpc.nfsd: Writing version string to kernel: +2 +3 +4 
rpc.nfsd: unable to resolve ANYADDR:nfs to inet address: Servname not supported for ai_socktype
rpc.nfsd: unable to set any sockets for nfsd

At first it looked like the problem is the ipv6 stuff.  I don't have any ipv6 interface defined.  But `man rpc.nfsd` does not explain how to disable ipv6 stuff.

However, since you guys mentioned /etc/services, and look what i discovered:

[root@dieter-p4sci-arch ~]# pacman -Qo /etc/services
error: failed to read file '/etc/services': No such file or directory

:wtf:

I'll do a `pacman -Syu` and see what happens...

edit: looks like iana-etc was installed, but /etc/services did not exist neutral
edit: reinstalled inia-etc, `pacman -Syu`'ed, rebooted (new kernel) and nfsv4 works fine for me again.

Last edited by Dieter@be (2010-08-19 08:52:07)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 2010-08-20 19:25:53

spctrl

I had the same issue, for some reason iana-etc was not installed. bug?

#7 2010-09-02 02:09:33

synthead

Same issue:

[max@superkid etc]$ sudo ntpdate time.nist.gov
Error : Servname not supported for ai_socktype
 1 Sep 21:08:16 ntpdate[2825]: can't find host time.nist.gov

1 Sep 21:08:16 ntpdate[2825]: no servers can be used, exiting

#8 2011-01-20 02:12:27

TheCycoONE

I filed a bug relating to the issue where /etc/services is missing despite iana-etc being installed: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22461

Please comment there if you have information about it, I didn't have much information for maintainers to go on personally.

Board footer