$ pacman -Qu --dbpath /tmp/somedir
make 3.81-5
vim 7.3-1
vim-runtime 7.3-1
xf86-input-evdev 2.4.0-2
xkeyboard-config 1.8-1
xorg-server 1.8.1.902-1

Tada!

Well the actual point is that 2 syncs are supposed to be completely seperate, you would do pacman -Sy --dbpath =/tmp/somedir and then resync (again) with pacman -Syu (or whatever you want to do). Otherwise you could just do pacman -Sy, which can break the system (as mentioned above). You're solution isn't any different then just running pacman -Sy in cron all on regular intervals.

I like the fakeroot idea though, however that requires support for building pacman packages and it feels kinda dirty. Hopefully the patch I submitted will get looked at though (and even better something like pacman -Qyu gets implemented)

Last edited by deteego (2010-09-02 15:19:17)

#27 2010-09-02 16:10:37

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: How to keep pacman up-to-date

I think you may be misunderstanding the way pacman's DBs are stored.

The syncs are separate. You cannot separate the local DBs because otherwise -Qu compares the fake DB against a blank local DB and will always return no results. The symlink "duplicates" the local DB so that running `pacman -Qu --dbpath /tmp/somedir' compares the fake sync DB in /tmp/somedir/sync against the local DB in /var/lib/pacman/local.

deteego wrote:

(and even better something like pacman -Qyu gets implemented)

Patches welcome!

Last edited by falconindy (2010-09-02 16:11:50)

#28 2010-09-02 23:09:24

deteego

falconindy wrote:

I think you may be misunderstanding the way pacman's DBs are stored.

The syncs are separate. You cannot separate the local DBs because otherwise -Qu compares the fake DB against a blank local DB and will always return no results. The symlink "duplicates" the local DB so that running `pacman -Qu --dbpath /tmp/somedir' compares the fake sync DB in /tmp/somedir/sync against the local DB in /var/lib/pacman/local.

My bad, I misread what you typed (was posting late at night)

falconindy wrote:
deteego wrote:

(and even better something like pacman -Qyu gets implemented)

Patches welcome!

I will make one next week

#29 2010-09-04 13:02:00

deteego

As an update to this, after talking to one of the pacman developers, a new flag will be added into pacman called --ignore-root (or something along those lines). Basically when you parse this flag into pacman, it wont ask for root (and will error out in the case it actually would require root)

Board footer