You are not logged in.

#1 2003-10-15 03:29:26

thydian

Spartan Gnome 2.4 Desktop

Hey,

Reinstalled Archlinux 0.5 recently and started from minimal install. Went smoothly of course, as it's a great distro. Just installed gnome 2.4 last night and all seems to be good for the most part. My issue is that the default desktop seems to be barebones to the core.

When I log in I have three shortcuts on the desktop for Trash, Start and Home. I also have a tiny empty panel in the top left of the desktop. I don't have a typical "Start Menu" type panel along the top and I don't have an "app tray" (what I call it) along the bottom.

If I have to configure it all manually, so be it. But usually I'm presented with more - which gives me pause to wonder if something is awry or a package is missing.  I'm lazy you know and want as much of that stuff setup by default as possible.

Thanks -

#2 2003-10-15 11:04:44

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Spartan Gnome 2.4 Desktop

I noticed the same thing.  I submitted a bug about it.

It seems that if your user had previously logged in using Gnome 2.2, they got a nice shiny looking Gnome desktop.  After the upgrade to Gnome 2.4, the shiny desktop is preserved, but a new user logging into to Gnome 2.4 for the first time gets an unconfigured desktop.

It also appears as if the gnome-games package for Gnome 2.4 is essentially "empty".  I added that to the bug report as well.

Solutions:
1) Configure your desktop under the new Gnome 2.4 by hand.
2) Grab the 0.5 full CD image and install (it comes with Gnome 2.2) and have your Gnome users log in - then upgrade to Gnome 2.4.
3) Wait for a bug fix and use a different window manager/desktop environment for the short term.

Cheers,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#3 2003-10-15 15:22:30

sarah31
Website

or try uninstalling gnome 2.2 and installing 2.4. i seem to remember the gnome maintainer asking apeiro to anounce something to this degree.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-10-16 02:22:28

thydian

Ahhh...the mystery is solved then.

I never installed gnome 2.2 in the first place. Went straight from no window managers at all to an install of X11 and gnome 2.4 on top of my "minimal" install from the CD. Since all users were logging into gnome for the first time, there was no pretty configuration inherited from 2.2.

Ideally of course, a 2.2 gnome session by a user shouldn't have to be a prereq for 2.4 - but thanks to you guys I have a workaround at least. It's almost impossible to get upset when Arch shines in so many other ways.

Many thanks for the prompt responses...

Board footer