http://biglinux.codigolivre.org.br/modu … cle&sid=25

does anybody know how do they do this?

can someone implement this into arch?

#2 2005-04-14 18:32:00

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Wow, look at this live CD

implement which part? I can't read anything of that except stuff like "blah blah KDE blah GNOME..."
the 3d stuff?

#3 2005-04-14 18:49:06

i3839

Well... You know, 3D stuff exists quite a while...

How they do it? Just a visual trick really, speeded up with special purpose hardware.

#4 2005-04-14 22:51:20

Pajaro

3D stuff, yes.

I want to make a mind control experiment. It consists in make people think that linux is better than any other operating system, and this 3d stuff will help a lot, specially if I can apply it to the computers I run (they all run arch).

Any help with this 3d stuff will be welcome.

#5 2005-04-14 22:59:31

i3839

I'm not interested in 3D stuff for desktops because the most important thing I look at is text, and reading 3D text kinda sucks.

#6 2005-04-15 17:27:00

Pajaro

Having your windows organized in 3d can save lots of time.

In example:

- you are a programmer and you work in your office. You have in the center, using almost all your screen space, kate. then you have evolution in the left, turned enough to use few screen area and to let you see if a new mail has arrived, and in the other side you have your music player with all controls visible and usable but using really few screen space.

You say only text. Then you may not use X... why are you then writing in this post? Do you think you have the real and only truth about computers usability?

Of course, 3d is not for you, and I won't try to convince you, but don't think that I'm just a kid impressed with this 3d stuff.

Have in mind that you two haven't answered any of my questions, so what you've done is just add unuseful words and unuseful information to this topic.

This kind of posts make this forum worst than it could be.

Forums are not chatrooms. Forums are to find information, not to hang out.

If you want to hang out, you have the off topic category for whatever you want, or the freenode#archlinux chatroom.

#7 2005-04-15 17:32:11

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

yeah. no 3d for me thanks. I have multiple desktops. I can't imagine wanting to have sideways turned windows on my screen.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2005-04-15 17:32:47

Moo-Crumpus

I can't find any screenshots there, and do not know any spanish vocabularies, beneath "Estoy en necesidad de una revolución".

Have I to download the image and run it, or is there any eye candy to be viewed online? Any links to them?

Adiós, y gracias por los pescados.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#9 2005-04-15 17:56:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Pajaro wrote:

You say only text. Then you may not use X... why are you then writing in this post? Do you think you have the real and only truth about computers usability?

You asked for people to implement it in arch... I believe he was saying "I don't want to implement it" - no one was mocking you, or telling you were wrong.  Please do not start an argument, Pajaro.

#10 2005-04-15 18:18:55

i3839

With text I meant just that: Text. Characters on screen in certain orders, used for communication. The things that make this forum useful, the things I code my stuff in. I use my computer mainly for writing and reading, both text.

My point is that although 3D may look nice, and be fun (games, eye-candy, etc.), it doesn't improve the single most thing I use my comp for: doing stuff with text.

In the best case it surrounds the text, and in the worst case it makes also the text 3D, and thus close to unreadable.

That's why I think 3D isn't a big thing for desktops. It may be nice, even very nice eye-candy, but it doesn't add real functionality which is usable. As Cactus said, there are other ways to efficiently handle a lot of screens and windows. It may also be done with 3D effects, but that doesn't add any real value.

#11 2005-04-15 18:35:42

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'm all for 3D... object oriented virtual work spaces. I'd also like to see systems that take advantage of more of the senses -- sound definately, also tactile feedback and even smell.

I have absolutely no idea what this page is looking at because my spanish is aweful shaky too.  You might be interested in the 3ddesktop project from extra. Also Project Looking Glass has a really nice collection of links to various 3D technologies, a lot of these are implemented in X:

https://lg3d-core.dev.java.net/lg3d-rel … ogies.html

If whatever is on the page is an open source program, I'm sure it can be used in Arch. ;-) Need more information.

Dusty

#12 2005-04-16 15:19:52

tmadhavan

I'd love a 3D desktop to be honest.

I think pajaro made an interesting point, and no-one really listened.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the point is that if people think a desktop looks cool, they'll use it, right? Nothing to do with decorations, etc, etc. If you have something new, people will want to use it. At the moment, l think linux looks better than (for instance wink ) Windows. But if you say 'oh, look try this, it looks better', it's not quite enough of a leap, right? Maybe my grabbed stick-end is the wrong one. 

Although, Arch is indeed, I guess, a more technical distro, so perhaps the idea should be tried on another.

However, if it's doable, it would do wonders for the general perception.

Or... how about screw 3D interfaces and have one of these!

#13 2005-04-16 17:50:00

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

tmadhavan wrote:

Or... how about screw 3D interfaces and have one of these!

yes, only if you can get my 3 psychics first

#14 2005-04-17 01:45:26

Pajaro

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the point is that if people think a desktop looks cool, they'll use it, right?

Yes, that's near the point. Basically is that if linux can manage this 3d stuff correctly it is demonstrating that it is better than others, and that it grows faster, since linux started to evolve as an accelerated desktop environment just this century, many years after windows and mac.

But if I cannot show this 3d stuff working in my computer, there will be not much credibility of my words. It's not the same to say: "Look at this video of what linux can do" than to having them see how I work in a 3d environment.

Board footer